Putting Moth Balls in feed container?

Quote:
My chickens can not WAIT for me to bring out hay to the horse and goat, they scratch through it looking for the bugs!

I guess a person would also worry about bugs eating too much of the feed, or rats/mice pooping in it.

I keep my feed stored in plastic tubs, they're not bug proof but they keep the mice out. We go through feed in winter so fast I hardly get a chance to put it in the plastic tub....

Quote:
I use DE for everything. I spread it all in the coop and in their run and even in there feed. It's the best. I'll be putting some DE in all my containers.
Great Stuff! Thanks!

The only problem I had with bugs getting into my galvanized trash can that I keep feed in is fire ants. The trash can is one of the smaller ones that holds 50lbs of feed perfectly.

I got a 5gal. bucket, placed a cinder block in it on end. I then filled the bucket up with water. I then put the trash can on top of the cinder block. No more ants in the feed. Ants will not cross water to get food. Probably works with other bugs as well.

Marty

Quote:
Just remember …as someone here kindly reminded me…if the bug count becomes too high in your feed….remember that the bugs poop in there too. The feed also loses some of it nutritional value with too much infestation.
cool.png

Quote:
From everything I've read bugs in grain are not good. Whether they task good to the chickens or not. I've raised birds of all kinds since I was 8 yrs old and now I'm 7.5 times that age. So, bugs in feed are always a No No!
Thanks for you input tho.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom