Putting my fuzzies outside

maggieL

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Tennessee
We've got some chicks that arw due to hatch this weekend, and getting some ducklings as well this weekend. We of course are keeping them inside under light, my question is that if i have an "intermediate " box that i use to transition them to being outside (its in a covered run where no predators and get to it) come june when we go on vacation, with all my babies be okay in the box outside? Someone would be coming daily to care for them just trying to get everything sorted out. Tia

Welcome, glad you joined. :frow

It would help to know what kind of weather you might have in June. A lot of us modify our profile to show our general location. That helps in a lot of our conversations.

I’ve had broody hens wean their chicks at three weeks in the heat of summer though most wait longer than that. I regularly put 5 week old chicks in my unheated grow-out coop, sometimes with overnight lows below freezing. I don’t do ducks, but your chicken chicks should be fine outside with no heat in June. The later in June the better. I think heat is your question.

Of course you won’t know how many chicks until they hatch, but how big is the box? Space might be an issue, even if heat is not a concern. They may need more room.

Oh yeah, sorry ha we're in TN. There is only 4 eggs right now and one is a bantam. But the box is something like 4ft by 2ft. I have 2 7 week old silkies ive not left out over night yet but frequently bring them out all day as our weather is getting warmer. I just wanna be sure they wont need a heat lamp

Oh yeah ducklings will be fine come june. Mine were out at 4 and 5 weeks without the lamp. And 30s at night, 45-50s day. They love it. Been a few weeks now and they are great, the thrive once moved outdoors with room to run around.

Back
Top Bottom