Putting my young ducks with my adult flock question

am145999

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I have two Indian Runner females that will be 14 weeks old on Monday Sept 1st.My Indian Runner adults are about 18 months.I was planning on putting my two 14 week old ones with the adults on Sept 16th when they are 16 weeks old so I don't have to worry about them being bred.The problem is I'm leaving for vacation on Sept 7th for about 2 weeks and my sister will be taking care of the ducks.My young ducks don't go out with my adults unless I supervise them so I rotate them.This won't happen if my sister is taking care of them so my young ones will have to stay inside for 2 weeks.I was wondering if it would hurt if I put the young ones with the adults this week so that they can go outside.I'm just worried if they would get hurt if my males tried to breed with them.Opinions please?

I have two Indian Runner females that will be 14 weeks old on Monday Sept 1st.My Indian Runner adults are about 18 months.I was planning on putting my two 14 week old ones with the adults on Sept 16th when they are 16 weeks old so I don't have to worry about them being bred.The problem is I'm leaving for vacation on Sept 7th for about 2 weeks and my sister will be taking care of the ducks.My young ducks don't go out with my adults unless I supervise them so I rotate them.This won't happen if my sister is taking care of them so my young ones will have to stay inside for 2 weeks.I was wondering if it would hurt if I put the young ones with the adults this week so that they can go outside.I'm just worried if they would get hurt if my males tried to breed with them.Opinions please?
Can you use some temporary fencing and make 2 runs while your gone? I use the plastic poultry fencing and the fiber glass fence poles cheap too. you'll have to figure out a way for the young ones to have a place to sleep so they will be secure but this would keep the drakes from getting to them.

Last edited:
I can't put up temporary fencing they have a pen inside that's attached to the adults,but that's all I have for them.My neighbors have cats that come over all the time and temporary fencing doesn't keep them out no matter what I do.My outside run is electric poultry netting that shocks the cats,but doesn't hurt my ducks.

I can't put up temporary fencing they have a pen inside that's attached to the adults,but that's all I have for them.My neighbors have cats that come over all the time and temporary fencing doesn't keep them out no matter what I do.My outside run is electric poultry netting that shocks the cats,but doesn't hurt my ducks.
Hopefully someone that has delt with this will give you so options but I can say that my Muscovy drakes do not mess with ducks that are not old enough to breed wonder if this holds true for other drake breeds?

I know my males do try to breed my younger females which is why I only put them all together when I can watch them.

I know my males do try to breed my younger females which is why I only put them all together when I can watch them.
I can see why it would be a problem. I hope you can figure it out before time to leave,.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom