Putting pullets to "bed" (pics)

ORmom2four

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
West Linn, Oregon
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and new to having chickens too! We recently bought 2 pullets (I hope they are pullets!) in April.

DSC03786.jpg

We converted our rabbit hutch into a coop using the playhouse coop as our design model, and recently moved the chicks outside into the coop. On the inside, there are 2 nesting boxes and a branch for them to roost on.

DSC03781.jpg

They seem to like to roost on the branch, I do see them on it. The thing is, they only go in the upper area (with the branch and the nest boxes) when I put them in there at night.

Forgive me if this has been answered before. I feel a bit silly asking, but I'm such a newbie when it comes to chickens. Am I doing the right thing by putting them to "bed" at night? One night I didn't do it just to see if they would go up there on their own. They just curled up together on the grass and fell asleep there that night.

Thanks for any advice!

Jenny (in Oregon)

Hi Jenny,
Welcome to the forum!
Your girls
fl.gif
are still young and it's ok if you put them to bed at night. They will get the hang of it sooner or later. They do come down on their own, right?
Any chance you can post a close up of the dark one? It's looking a little roo-ish but you never know until you get a good look at those saddle and neck feathers. Did you buy sexed pullets?

Welcome Jenny from a fellow Oregonian!

Your chickies are cute. It is okay to put them to bed at night, sometimes it takes a while for them to get the hang of the ramp, especially a longer, steeper one like yours. It is a fine ramp, just a bit more of a learning curve for them. I have "walked" mine up the ramp before to help them learn.

Thanks for such a quick response. Yes, they are anxious to get down in the morning, and barely wait for me to get out of their way before they get out to explore.

I have also been worried about the dark one. He/she has a thinner neck (feathers fully in now) and thicker legs. They were suppose to be sexed (bought them as pullets from Coastal Farm & Ranch) but I know they can be wrong. Here are a few close ups.

DSC03792.jpg

DSC03782.jpg

that's a cool setup.....I'm trying to come up with something to use on our chicks that we're getting next week....that's very clean and professional looking....good job!

Hello from Southern Oregon!
frow.gif

It is okay to put them to bed at night...they will get it. Those are beautiful babies you have there. Congrats.

From one Oregonian to the other

welcome-byc.gif

West Linn has a coastal farm! whoohoo!

Man, I should have known you earlier...I would have given you chicks. LOL!

Your babies look very pretty.

I have too many to count! But I love them all expecially my silkes!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom