putting tin on outside of coop

kipepeo

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
NC KS
Well after discussion with my neighbor decided to line the outside of coop with tin instead of doing ply wood on the inside. My neighbor thought the tin would keep out moisture and drafts, lining with plywood inside would allow moisture and make home for critters. The tin is ordered but my friend has brought up the possible problem of the tin making it too hot. What do you think? There is the big screended in room and 5 windows on the main room and they free range anyway. What do you think

32511_020.jpg

I am having electric put in a couple of weeks. Should I put and exhaust fan in the roof or is that even necessary

If I lived in Kansas, I'd make repairs to the exterior, insulate it, and then add thin paneling on some kind, maybe tin, to the interior. That would keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

With all those trees over the roof, and a decent (if certainly not excessive) amount of ventilation, I would not personally hesitate to use metal siding. It will protect the structure and prolong its lifespan far better than putting panelling on the inside. Tin that is vertical, and has some degree of wood insulating it on the inside, will not cause *that* much heating *anyhow*, specially if it is plain metal (galvanized, aluminum, whatever) or a light colored paint.

I would not bother with an exhaust fan. However, if you are worried about heat, you might wish to put some additional vents (a decent size, like 1x2' *minimum*) very low on the walls, with a little overhanging rooflet if necessary to keep rain out. These vents should be closeable b/c it'll be important to have them closed during the cold part of the year; but if on some summer days the coop should get too warm they will provide an air inlet for cooler air to replace the hot air that wants to rise out your main vents (high on the walls).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I was not worried but my best friend is if you want the worst case scenario on anything she will give it to you. The tin that is ordered is 2nds and is white like what a lot of people around here put on their hay sheds

I just put a metal roof on my house this summer
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ha, well, I am a MAJOR worst-case-scenario person, and I am telling you to put tin on the coop, so there, nyah nyah LOL

Have fun, that's a nice old coop you've got there,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom