Putting weight on neglected hens

You didn't mention age. Do you know about how old they are?

I would begin with either a chick starter, or flock grower feed with 18% protein, and free choice oyster shell on the side. Fill their feeders, and let them eat as much as they want. Don't worry about impacted crop. Even newly hatched chicks don't need grit when all they're eating is feed, because it won't impact their crops. Don't try to rush it. You are wanting to build muscle, not just fat. Don't give them anything but feed for now, because it meets 100% of their balanced dietary needs, and treats don't. When they attain their weight, and are in good health, then you may add the occasional treat.

Show a picture of them.
She's the one I worry about most.. Worn out by too many rooster and molting also. Her back was bloody. No mites or lice... Thinking about finding a wormer but not wazine (not sure how it is spelled) because it say not to use on laying hens and it's illegal to sell eggs in AR from hens wormed with it. She is eating OK and moving up in the pecking order. I can still feel her breast bone. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. I put the whole adopted flock on feather fixer.
IMG_20171010_231204.jpg

You didn't mention age. Do you know about how old they are?

I would begin with either a chick starter, or flock grower feed with 18% protein, and free choice oyster shell on the side. Fill their feeders, and let them eat as much as they want. Don't worry about impacted crop. Even newly hatched chicks don't need grit when all they're eating is feed, because it won't impact their crops. Don't try to rush it. You are wanting to build muscle, not just fat. Don't give them anything but feed for now, because it meets 100% of their balanced dietary needs, and treats don't. When they attain their weight, and are in good health, then you may add the occasional treat.
She was hatched in February but I think older... I have never had a chicken molt like this the first time.

Facing the chicken, hold their head up, put some inside the left side of their beak, then let their head down, so they can swallow. Don't give too much at a time, so it doesn't go down the airway. 5 days in a row, then stop. Don't eat the eggs for 14 days.

See the hole behind the tongue? That's the trachea. Nothing should go in there.

5545913.jpg

5533562.jpg

Back
Top Bottom