Putting your Pullets in with adult females When?

jtotherow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Fort Mill SC
I have 24 reds that were born 3/5/08. They are almost the size of my adults and I was wondering when to put them together. My brother said I have to wait until they start laying. My feed guide said 2 week in July. Who is Right?

I don't wait until they're laying. I feed mine Flock Raiser since pullets that aren't laying shouldn't have the amount of calcium that's in layer food. I keep oyster shell out for the ones who are laying to eat as they need it.

You might want to put the pullets in a wired-off section of the coop/run for a few weeks before you completely integrate them. Katy (btw, love your new avatar) has a good idea, wait until they're the same size, but if you do the wired-off thing you could probably do it sooner. Good luck with your birds!

I've already put my young girls in with the big girls. They are slightly smaller than the older girls, but a pecking order must be established. I help a little but in the long run it's best to do it now. Do you have a rooster? That would worry me, I don't have any

Quote:
Thanks! You're the first one to notice that I finally changed it...or at least the first to say anything.

I move mine to an adjoining pen for a couple of weeks so they can see each other before I put them together. There's always a lot of pecking order stuff that goes on anyway tho.

I had chicks 5 roosters and 5 pullets that were born a few weeks before easter and I put them with my other chickens, 6 hens and 1 big rooster as soon as they had their feathers and could keep themselves warm. They have been together for over a month. I didn't have any problems.

I have all girls and ladys. They are located side by side and go to the wire and seem to be communicating. Never aggreassive. I just felt like they would be better off with them than in the temporary coop.

The younger ones are starting to pushing the lower weight hen back from the food. i have two feeders because of this. and two water sources.

Back
Top Bottom