Puzzling Leghorns

It probably wouldn’t surprise you to hear that these are mixed breeds, not brown Leghorns.
The one on the left is very spectacular.
I think he probably has mahogany and maybe the cream gene, though I’m not super familiar with what the diluters do.
Mahogany is a red extender gene like Columbian. Red spangling is found in the breast of Welsummers, and mahogany is what causes it here too.
Spangling is not duckwing based, it is either partridge or birchen based (which to be fair he could be partridge, but either way mahogany would cause mottling.)
Or he might not be cream and may merely be a gold silver heterozygote with mahogany.
The guy on the right is a gold birchen mottled with I think columbian probably in order to extend more color to the breast.

Ah, why didn't I think of heterozygous Silver that causes the phaeomelanin-dilution? :D

I'm still learning to decipher breeder-talk, so bear with me please.
Does "brown red" mean that some kind of phaeomelanin-intensifier is darkening the red pigment? Mahogany for example.

What causes leakage?
Nay.
Brown red is another word for gold birchen.
I think Columbian is causing the leakage.
Wild type birchens do have lacing on the breast though.

Ah, why didn't I think of heterozygous Silver that causes the phaeomelanin-dilution? :D

I'm still learning to decipher breeder-talk, so bear with me please.
Does "brown red" mean that some kind of phaeomelanin-intensifier is darkening the red pigment? Mahogany for example.

What causes leakage?
Brown Red is a Birchen/Crow Wing variety. He appears gold rather then mahogany/red.

I'm still learning too, so I'm not quite sure how to explain what causes leakage.

It probably wouldn’t surprise you to hear that these are mixed breeds, not brown Leghorns.
I think he probably has mahogany and maybe the cream gene, though I’m not super familiar with what the diluters do.
Mahogany is a red extender gene like Columbian. Red spangling is found in the breast of Welsummers, and mahogany is what causes it here too.
Spangling is not duckwing based, it is either partridge or birchen based (which to be fair he could be partridge, but either way mahogany would cause mottling.)
Or he might not be cream and may merely be a gold silver heterozygote with mahogany.
The guy on the right is a gold birchen mottled with I think columbian probably in order to extend more color to the breast.
Half Spangling can be made with Duckwing based birds though.
Screenshot_20221030-155550_Chrome.jpg

Thank you so much! Your guess makes indeed lots of sense and I see that I still have much to learn. :D

I stand corrected concerning Spangling - I had it wrongly associated.

Mahogany, Columbia and Darkbrown surely are interesting factors! It always amazes me how versatile certain genes can be.

Back
Top Bottom