Puzzling Leghorns

Phaeomelanin

Chirping
Oct 30, 2022
Tirol, Österreich
Greetings my dear fellow chicken enthusiasts!

While researching Leghorn colors, I found two specimens who were said to be "Brown Leghorns". Sadly, I could not find any further information about them no matter how hard I searched.

As far as I'm informed, "Brown Leghorns" are simply wildtype-colored without any further modifications. I may be wrong - so please correct me if necessary!

What staggers me about these two "Brown Leghorns" is the multicolored breast. The lighter one seems to be a duckwing with some kind of phaeomelanin-dilution (Inhibitor of Gold? Dilute? Champagne?). The darker one looks to be based on birchen because it's a crowwing-type.

The white specks could be caused by a rather subtile form of mottling. But what about the interspersed red pigment on a breast that should be black and white? Is this the result of the possible mottling? Or is it an obscure form of Spangling that concentrates mainly on the breast? However, Spangling can only appear on a duckwing-variety, so there must be a different mechanism influencing the crowwing. Any kind of lacing or pencilling doesn't fit and I don't see a simple pigment augmentation/reduction without the Pattern-Mutation at work. These would be my thoughts to the added photos.

And while I'm fully aware that involved genes can not be reliably determined based on photos, I'd love to hear your guesses and theories! :D

Attachments

• _fraglich Leghorn Duckwing.jpg
    _fraglich Leghorn Duckwing.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 33
  • _fraglich Leghorn.jpg
    _fraglich Leghorn.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 10
Whelp, that's the downside of trusting the internet...

Do you have any clues on what breed these two might belong to?
Hard to tell if they are bantams or not but I would be guessing they are
One appears to be some Cochin mix, the second looks like a Game mix.
agree with Mystery on this one

#1. Is a Silver Gold Split with leakage in the breast.
Second is brown red, with leakage in the breast.
Ah, why didn't I think of heterozygous Silver that causes the phaeomelanin-dilution? :D

I'm still learning to decipher breeder-talk, so bear with me please.
Does "brown red" mean that some kind of phaeomelanin-intensifier is darkening the red pigment? Mahogany for example.

What causes leakage?

Back
Top Bottom