Puzzling losses - Coccidiosis confirmed by necropsy

As of this morning, we are still doing well! I will feel much better when we've gone a week with no losses, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I have a few with very slightly pale combs, but they've been on Corid now for a few days and hopefully we have caught them all in time.

If anyone reading this thread has dealt with coccidiosis in an adult flock, could you post a bit about your experience? Most of what I find is about chicks and I am very interested in anyone who has dealt with this in adult birds. Has anyone discovered how and why their adult hens got it? I know it is in the environment, but how would 16 months go by with no problems and then all of a sudden everyone gets sick? I would appreciate anyone's input!
Coccidiosis can be spread by birds,you may have brought a strain that your birds have no immunity to,into your flock on your hands/clothes/shoes,etc. Cocci is everywhere,but if you know the symptoms and treat immediately,chickens will be fine. I always treat as soon as i see any of the symptoms,treating with Corid (amprolium)will not harm chickens,but not treating may result in deaths.

The Corid I have is 9.6% oral solution. Do you happen to have the dosage handy for this percentage?

I've seen other posts and decided to go with 2 tsp/ gallon +. That's about the same.

We started it, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Yes, that is about right. 9.5 cc is 1.947687(etc.) tsp, so 2 tsp is good. I could use a syringe to be precise but when I am mixing at 5AM that is a little much for my brain to handle. This dosage is for treatment of a sick individual or flock. For a preventative course, use 1/2 of that, so 1 tsp per gallon of water.

We are on day 5 and the girls are still looking good. We had a few just beginning to look lethargic when we started treatment, but they are still here with reddening combs so I am hopeful that we caught it soon enough with them. They will go two weeks and then we plan on treating again as per the advice I got from the vet who we are working with.

I have ProBios and Vi-Tal to add to their water in the days following treatment, so starting tomorrow. I have been mulling over whether to do the ProBios first or the Vi-Tal. I don't think they can be fed together, plus the ladies' little systems have gone through a lot so I don't want to put any more stress on them by throwing too much at them all at once. My gut says start with the ProBios to promote healthy gut flora, but I know they need vitamins as well.

Thank you all for your input and advice as I work through this issue! I have a question for anyone still following me here: I got the full report and have been going through it in detail this morning. It listed a "small numbers of ascarid (roundworm) larvae in the lumen". I will probably go ahead and worm the flock when we are done with our second round of coccidiostat treatment. But I know that at least in my horses small numbers of a variety of worms are normal and nothing to worry about. Is this so for chickens? Are "small numbers" considered normal, or is the presence of any at all cause for worry / worming?

This is just my opinion, but they will be pretty weak from the Corid treatment and the cocci, so I would wait a bit before treating the worms. You need to build them back up with vitamins, yogurt, along with feed, and ACV in their water to get their gut back in shape. Wormers are hard on them at the same time as an illness. Valbazen (best) and Safeguard liquid goat wormer are 2 very good ones. Only valbazen gets tapeworms in addition to all other chicken worms. Safeguard costs much less, and gets all but tapeworm.
Oh I just read your other post about vitamins and probiotics, but I don't know why you can't put them in separate containers and feed at the same time--or alternate days with each? I'm glad they are doing better.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to wait a while before I worm, if I even do. They've been through a lot these past few weeks and I want to take things slow with them. I could probably do vitamins and probios together, but I'm being extra cautious. Probably needlessly.

They all got a little excursion outside yesterday for an hour or so. They will be out a little longer today and maybe out a good portion of the day tomorrow. I snapped a few photos of them since many of them have never been outside with free access to the farm. Some of them didn't know what to do with themselves!

On the concrete outside the coop (the open door; it's an old horse foaling stall that we doctored up for chickens).

Dustbathing pile alongside the barn

And they finally make it out onto the grass.

Back
Top Bottom