PVC chicken tractor - great for meaties

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
this is an older pic of mine some of you may have seen it before, but I am posting at the request of some of my newbie customers
big_smile.png

this PVC pen was put together by me and my daughter, it takes about an hour once you have all of the material.
It's made with 1" heavy duty PVC, plastic fencing, a tarp & zip ties. The joints are glued with PVC glue.
the only tools needed were scissors for the fencing and a handy dandy pvc cutter that you can buy for about 12.00 (it works better on the heavy duty pvc than the lighter weight stuff)

I left the tarp on the unused pen this winter, and it is now the only part that needs to be replaced.

NO the pen is not predator proof.
Yes, I can move it easily by myself with one hand (chubby middle-aged housewife that I am) and yes it has to be anchored in big winds. I moved it daily, then twice daily near the end.

The pen is 10' X 15' and comfortably held 25 meaties from start to finish.

we have since whipped together variations of this whenever a pen is needed

also the white stuff all over the yard is from the cotton wood trees not the birds
smile.png

19992_meaties_at_sunset_014.jpg

here are some poults in what we call the kinderagarten pen - it has no top or bottom and is used for short visits to the yard.
19992_meaties_at_sunset_001.jpg

PVC & Zip Ties are your friends!!!

Nice!
thumbsup.gif
A tractor is the only way to go on meaties, imo. I made a pvc one for mine too, but I couldn't find the pvc t-joints to hold it all together and went with wood instead. But that made it heavier than I would have liked. Hubby has to help me move it!
tongue.png

the plastic fence in the pic of the poults, i used that on all my pens, i was skepticle at first but after having multiple people (men) try to rip it, they were not able to. also, its even tough to cut with scissors! i figure i know an animal may be able to chew thru it, but odds are they probably wont. plus i have my guard dog on duty all the time. its nice and cheap and light too!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
It's a five gallon bucket with three push in nipple waterers on the bottom. My husband welded up the stand for me as I couldn't suspend it in the tractor. LOVE IT & it works great. here is a close up of one hanging in one of my breeding coops.

19992_piper_n_chicks_010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom