Pvc cutter to cull a rooster

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
I have a rooster I need to cull. I’ve been reading a lot on here about the best ways to do that. I’ve decided the pvc cutters seem like the quickest, most idiot proof way to do it for me. I can’t really find much info about exactly how to do it though. Is my goal to cut the head right off the body? How hard will this be, is it something I would need loads of strength to do properly? I don’t want to make a mistake and have the bird suffer. I have a kitty litter jug with the bottom cut off that I plan to use as my “killing cone”. Should it be nailed to something and hung up, or can I just lay it on a stump in the cone? Also, how long do I need to let it bleed out after? Is there anything else I need to know?

I have a rooster I need to cull. I’ve been reading a lot on here about the best ways to do that. I’ve decided the pvc cutters seem like the quickest, most idiot proof way to do it for me. I can’t really find much info about exactly how to do it though. Is my goal to cut the head right off the body? How hard will this be, is it something I would need loads of strength to do properly? I don’t want to make a mistake and have the bird suffer. I have a kitty litter jug with the bottom cut off that I plan to use as my “killing cone”. Should it be nailed to something and hung up, or can I just lay it on a stump in the cone? Also, how long do I need to let it bleed out after? Is there anything else I need to know?
Screw the kitty litter jug on something with large washers. The spout needs to be cut out too, so the comb fits through easily.
You'll have to pull the head through the jug sprout. I hold the comb or wattles with my Left hand to keep the neck out of the jug. I cut the neck below the head, but anywhere close is good, with the PVC cutter in right hand. I'm female in my 60s

KIMG0330_01.JPG

KIMG0278_01.JPG

I don't have a lot of hand strength but I didn't find it to need much pressure. I used PVC cutters when I butchered a bird for meat for the first time and it went without issue. For large roosters, if you have a small handspan it may be somewhat difficult to get the handles closed with one hand, but if you have a cone (I did not) that should make it significantly easier.

When it comes time for me to do this, I plan to use a good pair of limb loppers so that I can get enough leverage. Or do you have to keep hold of the bird's head so that it stays outside the cone? I can imagine it might thrash a lot, but I also read that if they're upside down in the cone, they're pretty calm...? Not sure if I should rethink my idea. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom