pvc feeders

tav1

Songster
9 Years
Nov 4, 2014
ct.
right now i have a rubber bowl type for a feeder the one you get from agway.
thinking of using the pvc pipe system. can you show me some of your pics
that you use so i can get an idea. right now the hay,straw is getting in and
making a mess. thanks

I am interested in this, too. I don't have any pictures, just giving you a bump
smile.png

I have come up with a system to automatically feed multiple cages that involves 3" pipe, 90s, and endcaps. I have not put in into practice yet, but if you will post pics of your setup, I will make suggestions based on my methodology (automation).

Are you set up to cut pvc and build a supporting structure of some sorts? (will require at least a hacksaw and jig saw to make the feeder troughs).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/508615/best-feeder-to-prevent-waste for chickens on the ground

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641729/best-ever-quail-feeder
The feeders in this thread are what I suggest duplicating if you have messy eaters or quail.

Couldn't upload my pic, so here's a link
Sorry for the crudeness of the drawing, just wanted to get something on paper. Pipe sizes and fittings are only suggestions. The larger the pipe, the higher capacity, thus the fewer times you need to fill the system. You'll have to figure out a means of support suitable for your application. To add more feeding troughs, just use combo tee wye's in lieu of a regular 90 (always use a regular 90 on the last layer to avoid wasted/unused feed).

If anything is unclear, let me know what your specific questions. Hope that is helpful.

so would you go with a 90 deg or 45 deg ?........thinking that the 90 might have more droppage.

I think I want to go with a 4" dia., my hens are on the fuller side (no chicks) using pellet ......

I would go with a 90 to get the trough parallel with the bottom of the cage. What do you mean by droppage?

I don't disagree with 4" as the hopper, or main chute, but a smaller pipe entering the feeding area might prove to be a little more versatile (you could feed adult birds or chicks). A larger trough might prove difficult for younger birds to get their heads in, perhaps.

I'd like to know what you decide to go with, and how it works for you.

I did a look at my feed station and stayed with the metal feeder, there rubber bowl for water.....need a better system for that. just didn't want to spend the money that day...lol

Back
Top Bottom