PVC glue for chicken waterer? HELP!

Hatrick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
*I also posted this in Coop Construction~I'm desperate to get an answer ASAP...sorry.*

So we're being told all over the place that PVC glue isn't potable, however how the heck do you make one then if you can't seal it with the glue? I asked the store about all purpose PVC glue and he said it doesn't exist and that you need special glue for each different kind of PVC pipe. Then my cousin (who's husband is a plumber) said that no kind of PVC glue is potable. So...what am I going to do? Others have said they've used it without issue, but I really, really don't want to hurt my girls. What to do?

We almost all drink water that comes to our houses in glued pvc pipes. No don't drink the glue but it's harmless after it dries. I replied to your other post too. If your system isn't pressurized you may not want to glue it though. In the heat it will slime up and need to be cleaned. Most fittings are tight enough to hold water not under pressure. Just a consideration. Good Luck

I agree with rendonroo, I install commercial ice machines with Schedule 40 pvc for the water inlet all the time. My home is plumbed with cpvc, both hot and cold. However is telling you this doesn't know what they are talking about. GLue it together, (or take rendonroo's advice and just push it together for ease of cleaning)

PVC cement is non-toxic after it has cured. All pvc pipes that are used by municipalities, ie city and county water producers are cemented. Don't believe whoever it telling you otherwise. If it wasn't so, I'd be out of business!
Dick the plumber!

I agree with the others, I have been putting together pvc for years and if it wasnt ok be assured that the govt would ban the use of it. I also would just push it together if it isnt pressurized to eaze the cleaning.

I think your cousin (who's husband is a plumber) is in error. I can buy PVC glue at any hardware and it come with no advisory. I am drinking water out of PVC pipe complete with glue.

Their is an all purpose glue, how ever you are better off using glue for the specific aplication. CPVC glue for CPVC. PVC glue for PVC. ABS glue for ABS.

If you want, I have a can of all purpose I can check it if you like.

It would be tomorrow before I can do it though.

But I promise, you can use PVC glue.

How long should I wait until I install the PVC waterer. I assume to wait until the chemical smell goes away, but is there any other suggestions?

How long should I wait until I install the PVC waterer. I assume to wait until the chemical smell goes away, but is there any other suggestions?

Just follow the curing instructions on the can. Pipe can usually be pressurized after a couple hour cure. If you want to make sure most of the solvent is gone, give it 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom