PVC Material Choices

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Has anyone here tried using the PVC for outdoor drainage as opposed to the PVC for interior plumbing? I went to get PVC supplies today, had everything I needed using the indoor plumbing PVC, then I notice the exterior drainage PVC material. Same parts, thinner material, and quite a bit less expensive. Anyone? Seems as though most of the homemade PVC feeders I've seen here are the thicker material. Has anyone used the thinner kind?

You use either one. The main difference is thickness or SCHEDULE as it's referred to. Drain line can be thinner because it's not pressurized-hence it's cheaper. I actually prefer drain line because it tends to be more forgiving in the cold (Read freezing!) Drop water pipe in the freezing cold and it can shatter. Which ever you choose you must use the same type fittings also they are not interchangable. If you need SUPER HEAVY Duty you can get Schedule 80 in dark gray!

Thanks. What is the best for adhering / sealing the pieces to each other? Or is it even necessary if the entire rig is out of the rain?

Last edited:
Hey, I did the same exact thing today. Went to Lowes and saw the drainage ones first and wondered what the difference was in the others (sched 40) we looked at last weekend. A salesman was walking by as I was looking and he explained that they were for different uses and wouldn't fit my sched 40 3" pipe. I got a 90 deg. elbow from both and it appears that the drainage fittings are 3" exterior rather than interior. The 3" elbow fit snugly inside the Sched 4 elbow.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom