PVC pipe feeder

Quote:
OOH thank you so much for this idea! I will definetly be showing this to my husband! We plan on getting some chicks this fall and somthing like this would come in might handy! Thank you! This is why I love this forum-so many ideas and information!

I can't take credit. I found this idea here on BYC myself.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I see it using part of a p trap does it not get water on it?

I have a drain hole in the bottom of the trap on the food one. Has not been an issue other that foggy days an it clomps up but everything gets wet here then no mater what ya do then.

Quote:
I only use it 3 seasons an use a kiddie pool in the winter.

I just made one of those today using 4" white PVC pipe and I was lucky that the hardware store that I bought the bottom fitting from had the plug for the bottom. I made a feeder the other day that used a 45 degree elbow and then a 90 degree street elbow on the end of the vertical pipe. It works pretty good except that the chickens have drug some of the feed out of it onto the floor. The opening seems to be tilted down slightly more than the opening on the one I made today.

I may use the one I made today for the feed and the one I made the other day for the grit or oyster shells. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

Wayne

I built mine out of 3" pipe that I had around and a "street" fitting as shown in gryeyes post. Works well enough except that I'm finding the girls seem to waste a LOT of feed. And I mean they'll go through 3 times as much as they would if they were feeding out of the screw-on-the-quart-jar style feeder. So I'm going to try to put one of those lids on (as shown in crperdue's post).
smile.png

Here is my feeder, this right after we finished the coop, before the shavings! I do like it, but my bigger chickens have made quite a mess with it. I do like the 1rst posters feeder! I made need to re-vamp mine!

DSC_0071.jpg

This is my PVC feeder. It is made of 4" pvc with 45 or 90deg elbows (can't remember). I love it, absolutely no waste. The holes are made with a 2-1/2" hole saw. Very easy to make and very easy to fill. I got the idea from another member of BYC.

63578_img_4910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom