PVC roosts

Pop

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Has anyone tried PVC pipe as roosts or is it "too slick"? I need a couple of semi-circle roosts for a new chicken tractor. Pictures and details to follow.

It is too slick, but I have heard that you could wrap it with strips of carpet and fasten with zipties. This gives them a surface that is grippable and they'll be able to sleep well.

Thanks bison. I had thought about wrapping them with chicken wire (sounds uncomfortable) or maybe some of that rubbery tool dipping stuff. Also considering cedar limbs of the appropriate size.

I would not use anything round for roosts unless it is large enough that the chickens doesn't need to grasp it to stay on. Chickens are primarily a ground dwelling birds. In the wild they only leave the ground at night to roost and would use the largest brances available.
Also they were originally a tropical bird and are as well developed for cold weather as many other birds. If you watch chickens on a round roost you will observe that they are constantly moving, their legs are straighter, and their feathers are held much tighter to their bodies. If you watch them on a wide flat roost they are calmer, they have lowered their bodies so that their legs and feet are completely covered. They have "puffed up" creating insulating air spaces between their feathers.

PVC is real slippery - also if you have a diameter small enough to bend well, it will be awful small for them to be comfy roosting on (especially with the added slipperiness. I am skeptical about the idea of covering it with something, as that will make it get uncleanably pooey.

I would suggest either cobbling together a multi-angled "curved" roost out of shorter pieces of wood, or find a 3-4" diameter tree branch that is naturally curved to the degree you require.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

You probably shouldn't put anything around the roost that could end up abrading the chickens' feet, like chicken wire. That could lead to bumblefoot. I use natural tree branches, but I'm careful to examine them for any sharp spots first, which I sand down.

Thanks for the replies. PVC is out and if I can't find the appropriate tree limb(s) I'll just cut and rout some semi-circles out.

Back
Top Bottom