PVC waterer??

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Need some help/advise. I am currently using a 5 gallon bucket flipped upside down in a feed pan as a waterer in my runs. It works well, BUT, the silly chickens stand on the bucket and of course, the water winds up with poop in it. So, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bucket that will hold water for a couple days. I have seen a few pix of a PVC type waterer, but can't remember where nor the instructions on how to make. Anyone have suggestions? THANKS

I am getting ready for a 3-4 day hunting trip and want to make sure the chickens are taken care of while I'm gone.

Yard full o' rocks :

Need some help/advise. I am currently using a 5 gallon bucket flipped upside down in a feed pan as a waterer in my runs. It works well, BUT, the silly chickens stand on the bucket and of course, the water winds up with poop in it. So, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bucket that will hold water for a couple days. I have seen a few pix of a PVC type waterer, but can't remember where nor the instructions on how to make. Anyone have suggestions? THANKS

I am getting ready for a 3-4 day hunting trip and want to make sure the chickens are taken care of while I'm gone.

Instead of the pan use two buckets. On the top bucket put a pvc pipe tube to about 5 inches from the bottom of the bottom bucket. Cut 3 inch holes for the chickens heads to stick in the bucket. On the bottom bucket cut a hole also through the top for the tube.

Now your waterer will work just like before but if you fill the bottom bucket first you have even more water, about 6 gallons total. It will work the same as before except the birds will not be able to poop in the water. Make sure the tube is big enough to fill through upside down. Also make sure the lid is sealed completely. There is no need to take the lid off you fill from the bottom so use safe plumbing sealer when putting the lid on.

Also if you have birds big enough to tip the buckets by jumping on them you can do the buckets upside down and it will work the same. If you do you will need also to seal the bottom bucket lid with plumbing sealer.​

Quote:
Instead of the pan use two buckets. On the top bucket put a pvc pipe tube to about 5 inches from the bottom of the bottom bucket. Cut 3 inch holes for the chickens heads to stick in the bucket. On the bottom bucket cut a hole also through the top for the tube.

Now your waterer will work just like before but if you fill the bottom bucket first you have even more water, about 6 gallons total. It will work the same as before except the birds will not be able to poop in the water. Make sure the tube is big enough to fill through upside down. Also make sure the lid is sealed completely. There is no need to take the lid off you fill from the bottom so use safe plumbing sealer when putting the lid on.

Also if you have birds big enough to tip the buckets by jumping on them you can do the buckets upside down and it will work the same. If you do you will need also to seal the bottom bucket lid with plumbing sealer.

Ok.....sounds like a great idea, but this "dense Polish salesman" is a little confused. By chance do you have a pix that you can send me to look at. I think I get it, but not 100% sure

thks

I made one for a friend that has just chickens, I have chickens and ducks so my water has to be changed daily sometimes twice a day. So I do not have one around to take a pic of. I'll try to do a sketch in a bit and see if I can get it posted.

We are making some today out of 4 inch pvc pipe and low flow watering cups that I ordered from cutlers supply. Here is a pic of what they will look like. If your interested I will take some pics while we make ours. I don't think they will be good for this winter in freezing temps though.

28990_013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom