Pygmy goat questions- WA State

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm considering getting a couple of female goats next year and would like to know how those of you who own pygmy goats went about finding a reputable breeder from which to purchase them. I would like to find someone who may be willing to sell me a mother and baby goat so I would have one goat who would be producing milk right away and one I could breed later on. Is this an unrealistic expectation? How do you house your goats?

Thanks-
Lydia

I goat with kid will cost you a bit, probably $300+. But, I'm not sure the going rate on pygmy's. You have several resources:

Capital Press (a weekly ag paper out of Oregon, online version has classifieds)
ADGA
Go to the Puyallup and get names of peole showing goats there
Craigslist

I would reconsider pygmy's, though. I spent a day with a vet covering all forms of dystocia which could ever happen. After each lesson, he ended it with "it happens all the time in pygmy goats". I think that should tell us all something.

Lydia, If you are planning on milking the goat yourself, rethink pygmies. Their teats are just too small to milk, and you won't get much milk.
Pygmies are very cute, and easy keepers...as far as feeding them goes. But they aren't good milk goats.

Yes, Pygmies are a mini meat goat. You could milk one with tweezers
lol.png
but it wouldn't likely be worth the trouble. Of course a lot of Nigerians have the same problem, you just have to look for the right teat structure.

Look here for breeders in your state:
http://www.ndga.org/

Also, look for mini experimentals like mini Nubians, Alpines, any dairy mini...I hear they milk really well.

Thanks for the information and clarification on pygmys. I'm going to the Puyallup fair in September and will talk to those farmers with goats to see if I can find some "goat leads". I am planning to milk the goat myself so I want to make sure I've got a goat that's good for milking. I know that goats are herding animals and I need to have more than one- is it better to get two adult goats as opposed to mom and kid?

Lydia

Where are you going to keep them? will you have a goat dog or will they be close to your house. Most people in Tennessee, at least in our country, have goat dogs, to protect the goats.Even with 2goats, do you have wild critters that would like to feast on your pets.or neighbors dogs,I'm not trying to discourage you since Ihave been trying to get my DD to get some goats for the last 6 years to help keep down the scrub bushes ,so I have heard all these question so many times. marrie

Quote:
If it's for milking, I'd really consider a more traditional breed like Nubian, Alpine, Oberhasli, et al. I would probably suggest getting a goat with a doe kid, then borrowing a buck to breed them both in the Fall. That way you are starting slowly on milking as you learn how to take care of goats, then your production will double in the 2nd year when you know better what you're doing.

I've never seen a goat dog in the PNW. Mostly what you need is good fencing.

Let us know if/when you get some goats. I remember reading that Seattle made it legal to keep mini goats in the city. I always wanted goats but I’m skeptical about keeping goats on a small lot. In Duvall all types of critters are legal as long as your neighbors don’t care. I like that Seattle makes goats and chickens a legal right for those with difficult neighbors.

I have a pygmy/alpine doe who is bred and due in August. I'm a few hours away--but just thought I'd let you know. I'll be selling those babies. Last time, she had triplets.

In addition, try looking in the Little Nickel or on partyline print for the Okanogan Valley. It may be a trip for you, but you could probably save a lot of money on the goat, but you'd spend more in gas...so it may be a wash. But I do frequently see free or very cheap goats here....

We breed and raise pygmy goats. I think that it really depends on how much milk you want a day. If you only want a small amount then a pygmy will be fine. If you are looking to get a gallon plus a day then a more classic milking breed would be better. You are correct in that you will need to get two no matter what breed you choose. I dont see anything wrong with wanting a mom and her kid or kids.

Good luck picking a goat out! They are so much fun to watch and to play with!

Back
Top Bottom