Pygmy goat questions

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I went and looked at pygmy goats today. Want to get two. I found one female that I liked but not sure about another one. She has a twin brother that looks like her but not sure if I should get him. The woman said that males if not fixed are really stinky. and said that if I took him that she would have him fixed. Any input would be great. Also these goat are not registered. Should I spend the extra money and get a goat that is registered?

I think it depends on why you are getting goats. Mine are just my pets; I don't show them or expect to make money breeding them. They are not registered; but they are friendly, affectionate, funny, silly, and better than TV. If you keep the male you definitely want to get him fixed - it is an easy process. My male is my sweetest pet. He comes running when I get home from work and is always trying to get into the house to be with me.

You'll want the male fixed, no matter where you get it from. It's not just the odor, but the personality. They're just better all around pets if altered. As for registration -- depends entirely on what you want the goat for. Unless showing or breeding: probably not necessary.

Yes males can and do get really smelly during rut. If you get him you want him wethered as he shouldnt breed his sister...not a good idea there. If you want to show goats its best to get registered goats and Pygmys can be milked but they dont produce as much as a dairy type goat like a Nigerian Dwarf. There are Pygmys that are registered and are shwon. It basically depends on what you want to do and the amout of money you want to spend.

I don't have pygmies, but the answers to your questions would be the same.
Yes, intact bucks smell. They also develop somewhat disgusting habits as they get older. If a buckling is castrated before the onset of sexual maturity they make wonderful pets.
As far as registration, if you don't plan on showing them there is no real reason to have them registered.
Be aware that goats are very social and it's not a great idea to get only one. One goat will be very unhappy by herself.
HTH!

Back
Top Bottom