Pygmy Goats - New To Them - What Do They Need For Housing?

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
We are new to Pygmy Goats...and have a male and female with their mothers at the breeders farm. They will be ready the last week in April.

We've already priced out the fencing and the stakes and will be installing it all in another couple of weeks.

What I'm not sure of is what they'll need for housing...to keep them out of inclement weather and the direct sun.

I'm definitely not in favor of building any sort of shed and from what little I've gathered...they just need something simple for shade and rain.

Any photos will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

There are a lot of variables when it comes to the housing. I assume they'll be living together for at least the beginning, so you can do something as easy as a raised dog house (they like to sleep up high) or a lean-to depending on your climate and breeding schedule.
Usually 4x4 with 3ft roof is sufficient for two. I'm afraid I don't have any pics on this computer of my housing, but that's the rough estimate for 2 goats.
Once you start having kids though, you'll have to expand. Also the billy shouldn't be with the doe once she's getting close to kidding as he will rebreed her too early, so consider a buck pen nearby. A 4x8 lean-to would be great if your climate is mild enough and you plan for the doe to kid in good weather.
Congrats on your new additions
big_smile.png

There are a lot of variables when it comes to the housing. I assume they'll be living together for at least the beginning, so you can do something as easy as a raised dog house (they like to sleep up high) or a lean-to depending on your climate and breeding schedule.
Usually 4x4 with 3ft roof is sufficient for two. I'm afraid I don't have any pics on this computer of my housing, but that's the rough estimate for 2 goats.
Once you start having kids though, you'll have to expand. Also the billy shouldn't be with the doe once she's getting close to kidding as he will rebreed her too early, so consider a buck pen nearby. A 4x8 lean-to would be great if your climate is mild enough and you plan for the doe to kid in good weather.
Congrats on your new additions
big_smile.png

Kathryn, thank you so much!

Well, they aren't weaned away from the mothers just yet...but man, I already saw the male hopping on the female. Eeesh...seems so soon for that part of life to start....then again, I'm still getting educated on Pygmy goats.

I'm also looking into confining them, obviously, and I found some items at Tractor Supply Co. My property spans just over 3-acres with approximately 2 acres available for animals, which we already have a chicken pen housing 8 chickens....but that's it.

Please advise on the below eyeball shopping I've come up with.

For the fencing....I have found the following at the Tractor Supply Company:

• Appearance - Bright Galvanized Finished Steel
  • Applications - Used to Confine Sheep, Goats and Other Small Livestock
  • Color - Steel Gray
  • Length - 330 ft.
  • Material - Galvanized Class I Steel
  • Material - Low Carbon Steel, Zinc Coating
  • Mesh - 4 in. x 4 in.
  • Size - 48 in x 330 ft.
  • Wire Size - 12.5 ga.

They like to practice, though they usually can't breed until they're 4 months, there are some that can and will much earlier. The fencing, posts, and gate all look great and pretty much exactly what I use and I haven't had a problem yet. The little doeling shouldn't come into heat until around six months old, so if you want to hold off on breeding her I would remove the buck before then if not keep them separate right off the bat, but up to you on that score.
Here's my little herd. I lucked out with twin girls this year.
yesss.gif

As you can see, they have a little 4x4 shed with the windows covered up for the winter and a table for them to sleep on and the babies like to sleep under it for now.

They may munch on it a little, but they don't like plastic housing, so wood is the better option for them in my opinion. They're only in the shed overnight and they have plenty of little bushes and weeds and whatnot in their field to chew on, so they tend to leave their housing alone. The buck was bad about it, but he's got a doghouse in his own enclosure. Goats can actually be really picky eaters and usually won't eat food off the ground unless they're starving. I use a hay rack which has prevented a lot of waste.
Also, if they get bad, I'll creosote it. Creosote is a paint that they really don't like the taste of. I used it when I had horses and it worked great
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom