Pyrenees pup advice

bellhorsepower

Chirping
5 Years
May 26, 2014
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Good morning,

I have been digging through all the threads and of course finding lots of great info! I am the proud owner of a 10 week old GP, obtained from a local farmer. We got her two weeks ago. Most everyone seems to agree that a pup this age should not be "on it's own" outside without supervision and guidance. I do not have another LGD to help train this pup, but do have other dogs that she interacts with, two heelers, a pit and a mutt. Currently I have her in a kennel inside the house at night, and while feeding. Otherwise she hangs out with the others outside when I am home. At what age is it safe for her to stay outside at night?

My older heeler is contained by an invisible fence, with the chicken coop within his perimeter. The mutt roams at will and between the two do a fair job of keeping the predators to a minimum. We live on 40 acres, with few neighbors. The older heeler will kill chickens, mainly in an attempt to forcefully move them to where he thinks they should be, and partly to test how sneaky he can be without getting caught! I got the Pyrenees because the heeler is starting to not hear as well and has let a few things sneak past him at night. I also would like to let the poultry free range during the day, once the pup is grown and the heeler is relieved of his duties. I have horses, rabbits, turkeys and two children I'd like to include in the group of things guarded. I've been bringing the GP pup (her name is Sky, btw) with me on a leash to take care of everything around here, including in the chicken pen, and am amazed at how indifferent she is. We are working on basic obedience...sit, come, etc. and doing great...not quite as quick to respond as the heelers, but much more enthusiastic (when I have her attention) than anticipated. Any advice, "this is how I do it/have done it" wisdom, etc is welcome! Sorry to be so long winded!

Thanks in advance,
Bev.

Back
Top Bottom