Pysanky Eggs?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Is anyone here into the hobby of pysanky? I went to a workshop yesterday with my mom and we had so much fun learning how to do it. It definitely takes a steady hand! I'm looking to get a little starters kit so I can do it at home but I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good websites. The one the lady at the workshop gave me was Surma. I figured I'd shop around a bit though.

I'll try to get a picture of the egg I made to post, but I'd love to see some of your work!

This is on my many long lists of things to do. I have a kit downstairs - just looked at it this morning, in fact - alas, I do not have the time I thought I wold to do the many things I wanted to do. These are beautiful and some of the eggs I have seen rival the masterpieces in any museum.

Do you leave your eggs whole, as in traditional egg art or do you blow and fill the hole in with wax?

Pysanky USA is a good place. There are places on Facebook also with pysanky artists if you would like more information. The one place on facebook that I belong to is called incredible eggs. There are allot of people on there to help you. And don't be afraid to ask questions because they are all willing to help anyone who is new or old to the art.

Where I'm from, they're called "Czech Eggs," and when I was student teaching in Art, we made them for weeks on end! Thanks to the previous poster who recommended the Best Pysanky website--I've now just purchased myself a kit!

Blessings!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! I've been busy at work.

Anyways, my mom and I purchased supplies from Surma. They were very easy to work with, but the only complaint I had was the cost of shipping! It was almost $17 for a tiny little box, and they didn't tell me ahead of time what it would be.

I have been fooling around with some eggs though. I definitely need a lot of practice! During my next day off, I will try to take some pictures of what I have done so far.

I do pysanky. It is an art that does take a lot of practice if your goal is to create a uniformed design. It can br awkward to do in the beginning but if you enjoy small work like cross stitching it could be a good fit. It is a dying art form so I love to encourage folks to try it. I teach classes and to date have made ab 10,000 eggs.
I agree that pysanky usa is a good place to get items. I also like the ukrainian gift shop and best pysanky. None of those places charge obnoxious shipping!

Back
Top Bottom