Pythons making Arkansas their home

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
My mom called in a panic yesterday..she wanted to make sure I was watching the children closer. she read in the paper that Pythons have been "growing in the wild" down in the southern part of Arkansas....they have found a nest of over 47, by the time the activitist lost their legislation to save them, (2 years) they have spread even further.... there was a picture of a 20 ft and over 200 lbs python that was killed about an hour from me.(it was bothering boaters last summer)... several have been spotted at a swamp lake only about 20 minutes from me. The newspaper article said they could inhabit the lower 1/3 of the US. This has been going for awhile, she was afraid with all the flooding going on around here, they would move closer...there is a small swamp right next to us....
Just thought I would share that tidbit of news with ya'll.
frow.gif

I wonder if SC would be considered in the lower 1/3? I had heard they were in FL, but I didn't know that were in AZ too.

BTW, why are the pork and beans in your shoes now??? I musta missed something when I went out to finish the corn.

Nope...this one is real....I wish it weren't so.
She is mailing me the article...she gets two papers the Southwest Times and the Arkansas Democrat...not sure which one it was in.

I've heard about this. It's people who buy them as pets when they are babies and they either get tired of them and release or they escape. Similar things are happening with non-native lizards in the FL region.

I'm glad I live up north. It is way too cold for snakes that big. I have heard about how they are spreading in territory though. I hope they don't wonder too close.

Back
Top Bottom