Pythons making Arkansas their home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Parson's Wife, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    My mom called in a panic yesterday..she wanted to make sure I was watching the children closer. she read in the paper that Pythons have been "growing in the wild" down in the southern part of Arkansas....they have found a nest of over 47, by the time the activitist lost their legislation to save them, (2 years) they have spread even further.... there was a picture of a 20 ft and over 200 lbs python that was killed about an hour from me.(it was bothering boaters last summer)... several have been spotted at a swamp lake only about 20 minutes from me. The newspaper article said they could inhabit the lower 1/3 of the US. This has been going for awhile, she was afraid with all the flooding going on around here, they would move closer...there is a small swamp right next to us....
    Just thought I would share that tidbit of news with ya'll. [​IMG]

2. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Is this an April fools joke?

3. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I wonder if SC would be considered in the lower 1/3? I had heard they were in FL, but I didn't know that were in AZ too.

BTW, why are the pork and beans in your shoes now??? I musta missed something when I went out to finish the corn.

4. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Nope...this one is real....I wish it weren't so.
    She is mailing me the article...she gets two papers the Southwest Times and the Arkansas Democrat...not sure which one it was in.

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I've heard about this. It's people who buy them as pets when they are babies and they either get tired of them and release or they escape. Similar things are happening with non-native lizards in the FL region.

6. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Ask the hostile takeover hackers....lol...I've been changed several times...but always pork & beans.... [​IMG]

7. 4F FARM

4F FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    North Idaho
    I'm glad I live up north. It is way too cold for snakes that big. I have heard about how they are spreading in territory though. I hope they don't wonder too close.

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am comming down to arakansas. I love pythons and boas and know how to catch them. [​IMG]

9. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Please take them home with you!

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Do they know what kind of python it is? I like tree pythons but will take all pythons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by