Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Oh yeah! I've been wondering how they turned out. Do they fit better now?

I ended up setting up my Hova bator for them. I need to add a dish of water though because I can't get the humidity above 20%. Temp is at 97.3 but I'm slowly getting it to where it needs to be.

They're working well! I actually needed them because I had introduced a cockerel and pullet pair to an older hen for breeding. Ko shamos, being oriental games, have some fight in them, lol. I thought we were all fine, went away for about an hour, came back, and it turned out the older hen had repeatedly jumped on their backs and flogged them and pulled out ALL of their back feathers. No injuries, just totally bare-backed.

Poor little things already don't do great in the cold, so I needed to get something to cover them, haha.

Anyway, feathers are growing back now, the older hen is laying, and the cockerel is mating with her, so all is well. Oh, and they didn't get cold and freeze, which is a plus.

How do you candle these? Is it even possible or do you just listen to them?

You can't. You won't know if they're alive or not until day 35 or so at the earliest, when they might start to wiggle if you whistle to them. Some also never wiggle but then still hatch.

It's a test of patience, haha.

Late night action from Egg D.

egg pip.jpg

It's gonna hatch while I'm at work tomorrow probably. Which is literally the only day I don't have off this week.

Back
Top Bottom