Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
A couple days ago, I got really lucky and won a raffle for an emu egg. I've wanted emus for years but was dallying on actually getting them. Winning the egg has kicked my butt into gear and I bought two more eggs from another breeder to get me started and hopefully ensure I get at least one emu from this hatch.

I've decided to start this thread to journal my first attempt at hatching these amazing birds.

Today, the raffle egg I won arrived in the mail. An early morning call from the post office had me scurrying over to pick it up. It was packed very well, with foam lining the outer box and the inner box nestled safely in newspaper. The egg inside was wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it safe.

unpacking 1.JPG

unpacking 2.JPG

The egg itself arrived in perfect shape and will go into the incubator tomorrow.

emu egg.JPG

It will be tagged with the number 22 so that I can tell it apart from the other two eggs when weighing. Why 22? That's the number I chose in the raffle that got drawn and netted me the egg!

This egg and the other two will go into my Brinsea 20 Eco for incubation. I will be trying to find an incubator with more headroom for the (hopeful) eventual hatch. The incubator is coming up to 97 degrees now, getting ready for the addition of the eggs.

Edit: For anyone reading through now, egg 22 hatched on 4/8/18. Eggs A and B didn't hatch, but another egg that was purchased later, egg C, did hatch on 4/20/18.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom