Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Egg A and B got tagged and weighed! Egg A is the biggest at 570.2 grams, and B is the smallest at 548.0 grams.

And, they're in the incubator! If you're wondering how many emu eggs can fit in a Brinsea Octagon 20, the answer is three, with just enough room in the back for a water wiggler and hygrometer.

emu eggs in incubator.jpg

Here they are all tucked in and warming up:

emu eggs in incubator 2.jpg

So, incubation has officially begun.

Last edited:
They fit perfectly! BTW what is a water wiggler? :hmm

Mine's homemade from a Ziploc bag, but they're those toys for kids that are basically tubes full of water, with maybe little fish in them:

71lRmxOssmL._SY355_.jpg

What they're good for aside from keeping kids entertained is that you can stick a thermometer down the middle of the tube and it actually gives you a reading similar to what the internal temperature of the eggs in your incubator is.

Ooh very cool! What type of thermometer do you put in there? I assume due to the water just a mercury?
Does yours have fishies :D

Lol! No fishies, just a boring Ziploc bag. Maybe I'll have to buy one with fish just for fun. I've got both my aquarium thermometer and my digital thermometer in there - they don't actually get wet :)

Emu's take 55 days to hatch. You can't candle eggshells that dark & thick. But I recall the eggs are weighed at certain intervals and there are charts that show what healthy growing embryos would weigh.

Mary O'Brien ( formerly "the Warden, then "the sheriff) used to give a lot of information in the various threads she started.

Kathyinmo(former BYCer now at Facebook) kept good records and her 4 emu's were very well socialized and kept her in sight. She used to whistle a similar sound like the emu's made and they followed her everywhere.

The important thing re: Emu's they need strong, well developed legs to survive. So deformed or poorly developed legs can lead to their loss. Also the first year they are extremely vulnerable health wise and accidents - ie, running blindly into trees.

Back
Top Bottom