Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

So I would recommend at first definitely doing it in a fenced in area, just in case. Once he's used to the outdoors, it should be fine to just have him follow you around.

Well, you were right - he didn't freak out other than the part where I carried him past the evil cat into the back field - then he spent the time in this HUGE open field pecking my hubby's feet. He didn't move unless one of us did :) (which is funny because in the living room he runs around like a nut case!).

Ciara is a brat.

Let me go back a little in the story. Last night, as I was laying in bed playing a game and browsing the internet, just settling in for the night, Ciara was pacing in her brooder. And then out of the corner of my eye I saw a shape come flying out of the brooder and land with a thump on the floor.

And it was her. And she has learned she can jump out and now she won't stay in. She insisted on sleeping right beside my bed last night and jumped out every time I put her back.

The only bright side is, for whatever reason, she returns to her brooder or a towel on the floor to poop. So she's potty trained, apparently.

So now I have a free-roaming emu in my bedroom until I get a taller brooder built. Oy.

Ciara is a brat.

Let me go back a little in the story. Last night, as I was laying in bed playing a game and browsing the internet, just settling in for the night, Ciara was pacing in her brooder. And then out of the corner of my eye I saw a shape come flying out of the brooder and land with a thump on the floor.

And it was her. And she has learned she can jump out and now she won't stay in. She insisted on sleeping right beside my bed last night and jumped out every time I put her back.

The only bright side is, for whatever reason, she returns to her brooder or a towel on the floor to poop. So she's potty trained, apparently.

So now I have a free-roaming emu in my bedroom until I get a taller brooder built. Oy.
Lol, good luck!

Ciara is a brat.

Cool story! Little emus must feel safest near Daddy.:D

Lol, thanks!

They're getting big, too. Berrigan is now over two feet tall and Ciara is around two feet tall too. She's up to my knee.
They have separate housing???

They have separate housing???

Yes, and not because Berrigan is mean to her, but because Caesar is. Goslings go through a stage where they will NOT accept new babies that didn't grow up with them and will go after them viciously. Anything that they bonded with when they were a week or younger is fine, but new babies after that, nope. So Berrigan and his gosling live separately for now.

As soon as she's bigger than him, which won't be long, then I'll put them together.

Then geese grow up and actually become the easiest type of poultry to introduce newcomers to. They just have a nasty stage as juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom