Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Okay, weekly weight loss check in. Egg A lost 12.6, it's a gram behind. Egg B lost 13.3, and that's 2.1 grams over. Egg C lost 13, which is 1.3 over. Egg D lost 11.9, which is .9 under. Egg E lost 10.9, which is 2.5 under.

None of that is surprising based on the weight loss I was seeing. I think I finally have it pinned down though, with today's weight loss being pretty close to what was needed for the larger eggs. The smaller eggs lost too much, unsurprisingly, so more tape was added. If they keep that up I might see if they'll squeeze into one of my other incubators and just do a higher humidity incubator for them alone. But we'll see if it needs to come to that.
I'm wondering if in wild emu nests, are the eggs all the same size?

I'm wondering if in wild emu nests, are the eggs all the same size?

Probably pretty similar. These bigger eggs are all supposedly from the same hen, who is older and has laid before. The other two smaller ones I would suspect are from first year hens, who lay smaller eggs.

db386260563182e47bd36d977d371f53.png

Nobody get too alarmed about egg B and C. They lost so much weight because I took their tape off, which weighed .6 on both eggs. I did that because:

iEtuq0Yuj4oSRYK4ILRuMPc7zjHkCstCqkEJ4hTBeU2rTimb-eYisdkqQlvDElMDkY2cr1BcC-sj48D0dXLP2ErF0agrUZ3KYRpciP3sIJ5H2WF--GEoj8EIhZ2ZWogt0odNoEX7MOzxDOIfvWwTk-6vlEwpQAAf1jNWJ-Qqr97Fr4jHTCVlVOO9SiScLYjOweKZj_E3DAKQXf5QDt8wuZ1vWedH_nXJz9wNPOCG1EEM0snzCHWebP2cNB0wDyScsMQBDcxtcQcNlM6dBR6Qk7p8CbfTdO14hxgec94Mm7FsemaXHme5G2quf6gQX4j_GKa60tVYf-aRqcshhw0Ijw0Lbzb7_KHdaVIRDwoRjJuDYYqsRW9uVicsXu0pV7pxE_8vfZ7AwL_V_NF6nCZJfbcTlF3iHX0HxYw5PmHlJftAEapEAS3_uM82fj7SJ-IQxVFjWyR6Dlq0UrZpzkY0ccaHPN2lO1reT4i8-E36hWbNft5_tIDZtZJt35zuVa2gd2bNmM56TmbpJymBZ1rFmg4HtNfPfTgc9a2vqXxPZWMQYvjt8PQTKVvDGhn88BCxvNoDE8JrL0-LkAPmslyWRdjD7tkjj1EL3Lqx_V5YDolNhb7x-Mm9a0MThcoZB6W1GTkRfwylMr_pOG0BmgrSRm43=w922-h657-no

They are now in their own incubator. Humidity is at 36%. Not counting tape weight, they lost 1.5 each. Much better - a little low, even. Which is good because I want them to recoup their excess loss.

Meanwhile the big eggs still didn't lose enough, but now the water that was in there has run dry and I won't be refilling it, so we should see that change. This is much better.

Hey @Pyxis , I have a new baby Emu! And the other egg (much larger than Egg #1) is rocking and rolling. I have limited space for emu brooding, so after I get the genders I'll decide if I should rehome my oldest Emu Socrates..

Congrats! Post pictures of the new little one!

Hopefully you don't have to re-home Socrates.

Weekly weight loss check in, late night edition.

Egg A lost 13.3 grams and should have lost 13.6, very close. Totally so far it has lost 25.9 grams, an average of 13 grams per week. Though a little low, that's well within the safe range. Egg B lost 11.9 grams this week and should have lost 11.4. A little high but not bad. Altogether it has lost 25 grams - high, but still in the safe range, and doing much better now that it's in the separate incubator. Egg C lost 11.4 grams this week, which is actually low, which is awesome because it's recouping some of the earlier excess loss. Altogether it has lost 24.4 grams, or an average of 12.2 a week, high but in the safe zone. Egg D lost 12.7 grams, which is bang on since it should have lost 12.8. Altogether it has lost 24.6 grams, an average of 12.3 grams a week. Right where it should be, pretty much.

Egg E I think is bad - I have left it in for now, because it has no smell and no leaking, etc, but a couple times I've turned it and felt the contents inside slosh, and last night when I turned it I actually heard them slosh. Not a good sign. Anyway, it lost 11.8 and should have lost 13.4. Even now that we're running totally dry in that incubator it doesn't lose enough weight. Overall it has lost 22.7, or an average of 11.6 a week. Technically that is still in the safe range, though.

Week 3 weight loss is in!

Egg A has lost 38.2 grams, and should have lost 40.8. A little behind, but still perfectly safe, and weight loss tends to pick up towards the middle of incubation anyway, so I'm not concerned. Egg B has lost 36.5 and should have lost 34.2. A little high, but again, still safe, and recovering from the excessive loss that happened early in incubation. Egg C has lost 35 grams and should have lost 35.1. That is pretty much as perfect as you can hope for :) Egg D has lost 36.6 grams and should have lost 38.4, so it's in the same boat as egg A. Again, not concerning. Egg E continues to be weird, and has lost 33.7 grams and should have lost 40.2. That is officially now out of the safe range. Still no bad smell from it though.

We are almost halfway there! In another week, I can check for signs of life :)

Week 3 weight loss is in!

Egg A has lost 38.2 grams, and should have lost 40.8. A little behind, but still perfectly safe, and weight loss tends to pick up towards the middle of incubation anyway, so I'm not concerned. Egg B has lost 36.5 and should have lost 34.2. A little high, but again, still safe, and recovering from the excessive loss that happened early in incubation. Egg C has lost 35 grams and should have lost 35.1. That is pretty much as perfect as you can hope for :) Egg D has lost 36.6 grams and should have lost 38.4, so it's in the same boat as egg A. Again, not concerning. Egg E continues to be weird, and has lost 33.7 grams and should have lost 40.2. That is officially now out of the safe range. Still no bad smell from it though.

We are almost halfway there! In another week, I can check for signs of life :)
It all sounds good!

weight loss is more of a chick development indicator. That is why it goes down more in the middle.

It sounds like the eggs are developing nicely!

Back
Top Bottom