Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

What is your opinion on the air hole situation? I have been told by quite a few ppl to do that for oxygen, but also to see if I can see their position. I would do it after their due date of course. This egg is shaped so funny I cant tell which side is air cell that's the problem. It looks like 2 eggs glued together. Today I couldn't get a good weight bc they would knock the bowl right off the scale. If it is just one baby I will be very surprised. I read such bad things I really hope they can make it. I have hatched chicken before but not emu. Fingers crossed. Day 44 today. They have made it a long way.

Have you tried sitting it down on a flat surface and seeing if it will tilt? When they have just one baby, they will tilt, and the air cell end of the egg would be the side that's up. Knowing where the air cell is would help a lot, especially if you're thinking of doing an air hole.

@AlishaRichard do you have a double yoked emu eggs?!
Yes I think so. It is on day 45 today. Was over 800 grams before incubation while the others were 600 grams. I am scared to death because these are my first emu eggs ever. I bought the eggs to hatch. There are 2 of them but one is only day 14. That one was 812 grams.

Yep, had to kick the babies out to the garage. Too big and stinky now :sick

Still adorable though! I let them run around in the garage and they had a grand time.

They are little poop machines. First time my son picked up Taylor, she was two weeks old, she literally covered him poop. We brushed him off with hay and got him reasonably clean. Then figuring she was empty, he picked her up again, and he got a soaking worst than the first. Amazing how much fluid can be in a such a little bird. I see all those you tube videos of baby emus running around peoples houses and I guess they must have tile floors.

Day 47 and still no wiggles, I remember someone said they had eggs that never wiggle hatch. Please repost that comment !!!!!!! It would make me feel so much better.

I did notice in my emu farmer that 97.5 degrees is 49-51 days while 96.0 degrees 55-56 days. So a degree and half could add almost a week to the hatch. so if my thermometer is off by a degree i could be as much as 9 days till hatch, so maybe no wiggle yet is ok.

Got my NPIP testing done today. Thank goodness they don't require you to test the emus.

Ciara freaked the testing woman out a bit, I could tell. She seemed uneasy being around a bird that could look her in eye. And then she was wearing bright blue gloves so Ciara wanted to chomp at them...

In the end it was fine, I told the woman she was friendly and wasn't going to hurt her, but I could tell she was relieved when she was done inspecting that particular pen and the emu barn, lol.

Back
Top Bottom