Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

I got the fence fixed, and then had all three follow me back across the road and across my property into their pen, with my neighbor walking behind in case any of them wandered. But they all followed me right over and in.
OhMan, that would have been great video!
You could have sent it t the Irwins to 'show them how'! :gig

Glad it worked out for ya!
Pretty cool your neighbors were able to round them up.

Well, the plums just got big enough to be serious business: the parrots drop them as they forage. So, Tooshtoosh and Mrs. Tooshtoosh have been beaten off by Limpychick and 'Sandy' (her consort). Such a clear pattern here: Limpychick visited at intervals; but as soon as the plums were viable, she took over.

SE

OMG OMG! Outsmarted by an emu. Was trying to apportion two rations of wheat between the two pairs here. But Limpychick rushed in; plonked herself resolutely down; and ate the lot.

Attachments

• 20191119_053203.jpg
    20191119_053203.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 15
All three emus got out the other day, oy. We had a big wind storm and a tree came down on my fence, and out they went. Luckily, the neighbors spotted them and actually rounded them up into their duck pen. The duck pen only has fencing about three feet high, so they were only staying in there because they didn't really want to be out, lol.

I got the fence fixed, and then had all three follow me back across the road and across my property into their pen, with my neighbor walking behind in case any of them wandered. But they all followed me right over and in.

My neighbor was a bit intimidated by Ciara, haha. He thought it was funny when I told him she was a sweetheart and not to worry, but it's the truth, she's a good girl.

Meanwhile I'm watching Crikey It's the Irwins and watching them try to load an emu into a horse trailer to take it out to release it, and they're having a bit of a hard time. Thank goodness mine are so tame and will follow me, lol.

Love hearing about the emu antics! How impressive that yours are so tame.

I can only imagine what someone passing through would have thought at the sight at a conga line of emus coming across the road!

Love hearing about the emu antics! How impressive that yours are so tame.

I can only imagine what someone passing through would have thought at the sight at a conga line of emus coming across the road!

Luckily it's a slow, dead end road, lol. Not a lot of traffic. I was a bit worried an oncoming car would scare them, but I was lucky and no one was out driving :)

Plum season here finished about a fortnight ago. And I have watched with interest: would the two breeding-pairs stay? or hit the road?

It seems that Limpychick (female) and 'Sandy' have hit the road. But Tooshtoosh and Mrs. have stayed. Gonna be a hard hard season here.

SE

been a while ... but dropping in to say "hi", also my pair seem to be trying to figure out exactly how to mate. i guess there is a learning curve. anybody else noticing mating behavior? any eggs?
lastly a quick reminder to anyone who is in their second year, you sweet pets can get agressive this time of year. so keep on your toes.

Back
Top Bottom