Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

'S/he is also a spaz. I'd say it's the lack of company'

You mean crazy dance at dawn? -- 'spazzy dance'??

[Nah. All emus do it]

I mean she freaks out if I reach into the brooder. But she'll eat greens from my fingers, so who knows what's up with that.

Ciara is back to her normal self after breeding season now :) She was a bit more standoffish during the season and wasn't too keen on coming up to me for petting.

But today she was basically in my pocket the whole time I was in the pen, and was very happy to have me pet and scratch through her feathers. She's also back to trying to eat my fingers if I'm not paying attention, lol.

Ciara is back to her normal self after breeding season now :) She was a bit more standoffish during the season and wasn't too keen on coming up to me for petting.

But today she was basically in my pocket the whole time I was in the pen, and was very happy to have me pet and scratch through her feathers. She's also back to trying to eat my fingers if I'm not paying attention, lol.
What about the hat?

Oh my God.

Has anyone ever had to chase an emu chick out a window? Well, as of five minutes ago, I can say that I have.

Holy crap. I was changing Blue's brooder. The brooder is right underneath a window, which I had open to let some fresh air in. No screen, because it had no screen when we bought the house and we never had one made for it.

So Blue is a spaz, I've said. She freaks out whenever I change the brooder. Today she proved she's big enough to jump out of the brooder, because she jumped into the window sill, and then went out the window. On the second floor.

So obviously I immediately climbed out the window. No Blue. I hear her whistling, though. She's run off the roof.

So I panic and dash downstairs and out the front door and into the back yard. She sees me and gets a little spooked and runs away a bit. Well, at least she didn't break a leg.

Then she realizes that it's me, calms down a little, and I get over to her and sneakily grab her up. She screams, then settles down.

I get her back upstairs, close the window while holding her, finish the brooder change, then set her down.

She's now eating breakfast like nothing happened. Meanwhile, I'm still recovering from my heart attack.

The window is getting a screen TODAY.

Oh my God.

Has anyone ever had to chase an emu chick out a window? Well, as of five minutes ago, I can say that I have.

Holy crap. I was changing Blue's brooder. The brooder is right underneath a window, which I had open to let some fresh air in. No screen, because it had no screen when we bought the house and we never had one made for it.

So Blue is a spaz, I've said. She freaks out whenever I change the brooder. Today she proved she's big enough to jump out of the brooder, because she jumped into the window sill, and then went out the window. On the second floor.

So obviously I immediately climbed out the window. No Blue. I hear her whistling, though. She's run off the roof.

So I panic and dash downstairs and out the front door and into the back yard. She sees me and gets a little spooked and runs away a bit. Well, at least she didn't break a leg.

Then she realizes that it's me, calms down a little, and I get over to her and sneakily grab her up. She screams, then settles down.

I get her back upstairs, close the window while holding her, finish the brooder change, then set her down.

She's now eating breakfast like nothing happened. Meanwhile, I'm still recovering from my heart attack.

The window is getting a screen TODAY.

I'm so glad she's ok! But what an adventure!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom