Q.) Do Chickens like Slugs and Snails?????????????????????????????????

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

i got a question today about feeding....

ive noticed my 2 hens...ABSOLOUTLY LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE live worms for some reason.
my god... when i start bringing out the worms... the actually FIGHT for it.

however, im wondering how does SLUGS or SNAILS go down?

i recall when i was a kid my younger brother accidently put a snail in its mouth thinking it was a chocolate (judging by the shape of the shell) and he spat it out crying...
cause apparently the taste of the slime etc is very foul.

but how do CHICKENS cope with it?
im not sure if i should feed it, i see plenty of snails in the garden as well as slugs... so im wondering if i should or not...
are they bad for its health??

shed some light on this for me guys

thanks heaps

mine love 'em!!!!
pop.gif
pop.gif
just like popcorn!!!
gig.gif

It took a while for mine to get over the slime factor, but I'm no finding empty snail shells all over the yard. (And believe me, there's tons of snails out there for them!)

I've never really found snails around, but mine don't bother with slugs larger than peas. But then again, we have slugs that are nearly the size of a stick of butter so only ducks would want to mess with that.

Years ago our very first batch of chickens loved slugs until they got all slugged-out, which can happen here in Rainforest Vermont. Our current chickens aren't remotely interested in them...it's a shame to pass up on all those free snacks!

It's so funny watching a chicken choke down a slug and then feverishly wipe off its beak.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom