1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q.) Do Chickens like Slugs and Snails?????????????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eeiko321, Sep 19, 2008.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi guys

i got a question today about feeding....

ive noticed my 2 hens...ABSOLOUTLY LOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE live worms for some reason.
    my god... when i start bringing out the worms... the actually FIGHT for it.

however, im wondering how does SLUGS or SNAILS go down?

i recall when i was a kid my younger brother accidently put a snail in its mouth thinking it was a chocolate (judging by the shape of the shell) and he spat it out crying...
    cause apparently the taste of the slime etc is very foul.

but how do CHICKENS cope with it?
    im not sure if i should feed it, i see plenty of snails in the garden as well as slugs... so im wondering if i should or not...
    are they bad for its health??

shed some light on this for me guys

thanks heaps

2. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    mine love 'em!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] just like popcorn!!! [​IMG]

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    mmmmmmmm... escargot!!! I saw my chicks munching on some slugs today. Have not seen them go for snails yet.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    It took a while for mine to get over the slime factor, but I'm no finding empty snail shells all over the yard. (And believe me, there's tons of snails out there for them!)

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

we dont have either here [​IMG]
    now i feel like my birds are second rate [​IMG][​IMG]
    ,,,,,,,,but i cant imagine they would like them more then they like worms or MICE ,,hehe [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never really found snails around, but mine don't bother with slugs larger than peas. But then again, we have slugs that are nearly the size of a stick of butter so only ducks would want to mess with that.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My chickens like snails but leave slugs alone.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got one chook who likes slugs. The others aren't interested. I'm hoping they develop for the WA State squishy thing.

9. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Years ago our very first batch of chickens loved slugs until they got all slugged-out, which can happen here in Rainforest Vermont. Our current chickens aren't remotely interested in them...it's a shame to pass up on all those free snacks!

It's so funny watching a chicken choke down a slug and then feverishly wipe off its beak. [​IMG]

10. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    I used to have a couple of BR hens that would eat anything that moved, including slugs, but our ducks usually got to them first! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by