1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q: How Many Eggs can a Bourbon Red Turkey set on for a good Hatch..??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LoveMyBirds, Mar 26, 2009.

1. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    This question is for those that have raised BReds and Royal Palms; that's familiar with them..

I have some eggs I just bought and today I found a turkey about to start setting..

I have 22 turkey eggs total , but was wondering the best number of eggs to put under her..

I moved her into on of the pens and locked her in by herself hoping she will start setting in the house..

I put 2 dummy eggs and leaves similar to what she had in the woods.. [​IMG]

Thank you...

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    My bronze hen(smaller eastern variety) hatched out 12 of 14 eggs last summer without any problems.
    It was so funny to see when they hatched it was like one day none under her and next day they were swarming over and under her!
    I took them away from her and raised in a brooder. Everyone made it...
    I think letting the hen hatch them is the way to go. good luck!

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    my bourbon hen had about 14 eggs at one point and had no problem covering them up..... i would say after she goes broody put all the eggs in the incubator and let her stay on the dummies for a week... then candle and give her the fertile ones... i wouldnt give her more than 15 so if more than that are fertile incubate the rest and give them to her once they hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by