Quacking.... please help!!

specTONKular

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
Hertfordshire uk
Good morning all,
I don't know what to do, I have 4 miniature silver appleyard ducks, 3 boys 1 girl (yes i know the ratio is all wrong but i was told when i got them they was all girls) believe it or not they quack but not excessively. All was well.
Then I took on 2 more ducks the previous owner (a teenager who had no idea on the needs of a duck) was keeping them as tiktok toys rather than ducks. They was kept in a hamster cage which wasn't big enough to keep a hamster let alone 2 growing ducks. When i got them they was 4 months old, i have had them nearly 2 months, the female is sooooooo noisy she quacks continuously for a minute to 2 minutes to almost take a breath and start again. Only being quiet when she has attention or when busy doing something like eating foraging ect.
I needs some help as i dont know what to do. She is beautiful but annoying everyone nearby! To the point someone complained about the noise to the local council.
I believe she just wants attention and to know i am there, but i cant be there all the time.
My options are to quieten her or rehome her. Obviously i only want to do the latter as a last resort. She and her partner are so sweet and have a lovely personality bit this noise!!!!!!
Please help

Good morning all,
I don't know what to do, I have 4 miniature silver appleyard ducks, 3 boys 1 girl (yes i know the ratio is all wrong but i was told when i got them they was all girls) believe it or not they quack but not excessively. All was well.
Then I took on 2 more ducks the previous owner (a teenager who had no idea on the needs of a duck) was keeping them as tiktok toys rather than ducks. They was kept in a hamster cage which wasn't big enough to keep a hamster let alone 2 growing ducks. When i got them they was 4 months old, i have had them nearly 2 months, the female is sooooooo noisy she quacks continuously for a minute to 2 minutes to almost take a breath and start again. Only being quiet when she has attention or when busy doing something like eating foraging ect.
I needs some help as i dont know what to do. She is beautiful but annoying everyone nearby! To the point someone complained about the noise to the local council.
I believe she just wants attention and to know i am there, but i cant be there all the time.
My options are to quieten her or rehome her. Obviously i only want to do the latter as a last resort. She and her partner are so sweet and have a lovely personality bit this noise!!!!!!
Please help
My ducks quack at anything that moves or is new. A leaf falls and they quack. Fortunately, neighbors haven't seemed to mind. We also have 1/3 acre lots so while my neighbors are right over the feve on all sides, there's still quite a bit of space between the ducks and any neighbors house.

Frankly, if quaking bothers the neighbors then ducks may not be the best fit for you. This is especially true if ducks are not permitted on your property by local laws or if only permitted if neighbors do not complain.

I do hope this all works out for the best for you and the ducks.

Her quacking may or may not have anything to do with you. I don't know how bonded she is to you, for example. My ducks quack when they see me, but it's because I'm bringing them food. Otherwise if I'm just walking across the yard, they'll quack a couple times to let everybody know I'm there, then they stop.
It could also be a personality thing. Some of my ducks are definitely more talkative than others, even within the same breed.
I don't think there's much you can do to stop a serial quacker.

I missed it if you said what are the two new ducks. my son has three pekins and one of the females is a nonstop quacker -- to the point we wonder what she is up to if she goes quiet (like knowing a quiet child is up to mischief ).

Your new female might be like her and there is nothing you could do to quieten her. My son gives away boxes of ducks eggs to keep the neighbors sweet!

If all is well on her physical exam and with her diet, I think you will have to rehome her if the quacking is a problem. But my suggestion would be to rehome the two new ducks together and get yourself 2 or 3 new female miniature silver appleyards or similar small ducks

Hello all sorry for the delay in my reply.
Yes I do have 4 males and 2 females. The orginal 4 I was told were females, just recently the 3 males have only just shown me what they are, and the 2 newer ones are a male and female.

There are no laws against having ducks. In all honesty i feel i am being victimised as now someone has complained about cats meowing and obviously its me because I have 2, yet my next door neighbour has a cat and 2 doors down has a siamese and there are other cats around the neighbourhood bit as I say obviously its all my animals!!

I check all of them regularly they are fed growers pellets, vegies, herbs and occasional fruits. They love peas and sweetcorn. They seem to like me as they run up to me and enjoy undoing my shoe laces.

I should add I live in a village, at the end of my street there is farm land and I can hear the horses making their horsey noises and the bird scarer going off! We also have about 10+ kites that fly around the area making noises and gulls squawking and there are so many dogs round here barking.

The 2 newer ducks are smaller than my miniature silver appleyards, and have call duck type of beaks i have added a picture of them. So if anyone has an idea I would love to know!!! The previous owner had no idea of how to care for them, as I said they lived in a hamster cage in her bedroom. She had no idea of additional vitamins ect they needed as ducklings.
I would love to give away duck eggs as a peace offering but my girls aren't laying yet.

The lady from the council is coming to see the ducks on monday (15/11) because the complainer has said that the ducks live on a paddling pool. They have a paddling pool as their pond is being made, but they don't on it!!

Attachments

• IMG-20210928-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20210928-WA0003.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes I do have 4 males and 2 females. The orginal 4 I was told were females, just recently the 3 males have only just shown me what they are, and the 2 newer ones are a male and female.

There are no laws against having ducks. In all honesty i feel i am being victimised as now someone has complained about cats meowing and obviously its me because I have 2, yet my next door neighbour has a cat and 2 doors down has a siamese and there are other cats around the neighbourhood bit as I say obviously its all my animals!!

I check all of them regularly they are fed growers pellets, vegies, herbs and occasional fruits. They love peas and sweetcorn. They seem to like me as they run up to me and enjoy undoing my shoe laces.

I should add I live in a village, at the end of my street there is farm land and I can hear the horses making their horsey noises and the bird scarer going off! We also have about 10+ kites that fly around the area making noises and gulls squawking and there are so many dogs round here barking.

The 2 newer ducks are smaller than my miniature silver appleyards, and have call duck type of beaks i have added a picture of them. So if anyone has an idea I would love to know!!! The previous owner had no idea of how to care for them, as I said they lived in a hamster cage in her bedroom. She had no idea of additional vitamins ect they needed as ducklings.
I would love to give away duck eggs as a peace offering but my girls aren't laying yet.

The lady from the council is coming to see the ducks on monday (15/11) because the complainer has said that the ducks live on a paddling pool. They have a paddling pool as their pond is being made, but they don't on it!!
Such a shame that you have such neighbors. I'm all for live and let live, but too many others seem to disagree.

It's great that you are giving two little mites who had been living in a hamster cage space to live and grow. i do think you need to rectify the sex balance before the breeding season next year.

The lady from the council is coming to see the ducks on Monday (15/11) because the complainer has said that the ducks live on a paddling pool. They have a paddling pool as their pond is being made, but they don't on it!!
Two lovely looking ducks in your photo!

The ladu came from the council came this morning and saidshe was happy with the conditions of the ducks and that they are obviously happy and well loved. The ducks were on their best behaviour no loud on-going quacking, i did say to her feel free to keep in contact.
I will be sorting out the sex ratio! hopefully someone might want a couple of handsome gents to join their flock!!

Back
Top Bottom