Quail—Too much grit!

ChickChick14

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Long story short, my quail were accidentally fed chick grit instead of food for 2-3 days. Is there anything I can do to help them, or do I have to just wait and see if they are okay? They always had water, and they have food now!

Long story short, my quail were accidentally fed chick grit instead of food for 2-3 days. Is there anything I can do to help them, or do I have to just wait and see if they are okay? They always had water, and they have food now!
They are only 7 weeks old.

If they were mine, I might give them a little bit of mineral oil over their feed to try to avoid any impactions that might be occurring, the dose is 1-3 drops per 30 grams ( 1 drop = 0.05ml) . Also, pay close attention to their feces, and it might be a good idea to start weighing a few on a gram scale daily. If they are losing weight they should be taken to a vet, or if their feces are lacking solid matter.

If they were mine, I might give them a little bit of mineral oil over their feed to try to avoid any impactions that might be occurring, the dose is 1-3 drops per 30 grams ( 1 drop = 0.05ml) . Also, pay close attention to their feces, and it might be a good idea to start weighing a few on a gram scale daily. If they are losing weight they should be taken to a vet, or if their feces are lacking solid matter.
Thank you!

Thank you again for your advice. I’ve tried the mineral oil. How long do you think it will take for impaction, or for them to be “in the clear”? I totally panicked when I found the grit in the food dishes—we had a friend caring for the birds, and she confused the bags.

Back
Top Bottom