quail aint laying eggs

scastle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
my courtnix and a&m are not laying eggs. they are 3mo old,plenty of fresh water and 24% feed(.the highest tsc sells) and good clean cage. is there something else i should be doing or giving them.there is almost 60 of them so they all cant be one sex.any advice

Do you keep them outdoors? Colder temperatures and shorter days will slow down egg production. I have mine outside and my girls have quit laying since the weather started to get cold.

Mine just started laying at 10weeks old, once I got rid of the extra males. Maybe there's to many males?

If they are outside and you are not providing any supplemental lighting they likely will not lay until spring. The breeding cycle is dependent on the amount of light they receive. As the amount daylight decreases in the fall their hormones to breed decrease. You can alter this by providing them with enough light to give them at least 14 hours a day of light. It must be consistent. You can't have 14 hours one day then 12 the next. Its best to control the light with a timer.

Back
Top Bottom