Quail and Chickens - Can they mingle?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CollegiateChicken, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CollegiateChicken

CollegiateChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the right area to pose this question, but here it goes:

I am thinking about getting two button quail from a friend of mine who is trying to find them a better home. I have four 3 1/2 month old chicken pullets, all over which are well over two pounds, and an adult rooster. I'd like to help my friend out, and I think the quail are adorable, but I don't want to take them if they just get picked on by my much larger chickens. I have a 6' x 14' chicken tractor (part of which is an attached coop), and my thoughts are that it may just be too close of quarters if I get the quail.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    DO NOT mix quail and chickens. The chickens will kill the quail, especially Button quail. They are best kept in a large "tank" in the house. Chickens and quail have diseases that can be fatal to each other also.

3. CollegiateChicken

CollegiateChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Thank you! I'm glad I saw this before I got them. I may still get them, but keep them in a separate area.

4. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Yea, it's a bad, bad, bad, bad idea. Even if it's just with chicks. The chicks will peck their poor heads bloody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by