Quail and chickens on same property...

Quote:
You seemed to get most of your answers so far, except a few.....
Quail will only free range once. They won't come back and that'll be it.
They fly. Even my buttons can fly all around the house.
Nope, they wont come back at night. You let them out and they're gone. You can build them a flight pen though.
They eat gamebird starter. They need a lot of protein, I also give mine ground up cat food and oyster shell. They also like mealworms and greens.

I would keep them across the yard from each other. If your hens free range, put a fence up a few feet from the quail pens so they don't get too close.
Good luck!

I almost forgot to mention my 2 cents about the milage comment.
lol.png
THAT IS CRAZY! I have never heard of 10 miles, how is that possible? I mean can you control that?? What if your neighbors had birds? Its not like you can make them get rid of them lol. So on that note. I have to say that I have 3 types of quail GG Cort. and Buttons and 2 types of chicken and ducks all on 1 acre. I have been dealing in the poultry for about 3 years and my grandfather has done it his entire life (72) so thats a crock about 10 miles. In the old days most people kept them where they kept them. You dont seperate your dogs from your cats?! BUT that said, there are many viruses and diseases that can be transferred from chickens to quail and quail to chickens. I would say to you that if you built a pen about 4-5ft off the ground and kept the quail in it in the same yard that would be fine. I mean I have some chickens that are not yet full gorwn only 5 feet from my cort. pen. My ducks free range the entire property and my large chicken coop is about 20 feet from my cort. pen. As long as you take good care of your birds and dont cross contaminate the waterers and feed and what not you should be fine. AS FAR AS SHOWERING after touching one and going to the other.....
lol.png
I deal with all my birds I go from the buttons to the aracaunas to the cort to the bantys and I have never had a problem. BUT if I get poo on me or any fluids I DO wash up before handling any eggs or water or food etc. Normal hygiene is a must when dealing with poultry any ways as chickens are carriers of salmonella and e. coli. so beware and if all else fails go to bing and see what you can find on diseases and viruses and anything else you may want to know that noone can tell you here (which isnt much there is A LOT of information available here)
thumbsup.gif
good luck to you

1.) Will they stay in the yard? (it's a 6' privacy fence all the way around)They WILL NOT stay in the yard.

2.) Do they actually fly, or just 'flutter' around like a chicken can?THEY FLY...and when they fly, they fly to coop! You have to keep them in a full pen. I suggest something elevated off the ground. With Rabbit wire.

3.) Will they go in the coop and roost at night? (this is important because coons do climb it somehow looking for food) again as everyone has said, you really shouldnt house them together but you cannot leave them in the open. If your chickens are just free ranging in the yard, there is no way you can put the quail just in the yard. They will be gone with the wind at first chance.

4.) Will my 2 chickens try to kill them? It is spossible though doubtful that it would happen if they were kept in the same pen, the quail are pretty darn fast.

5.) Can quails eat what my hens eat? (a mixture of medicated crumbles, 3 grain scratch and then I throw some bird seed down for the wild birds that show up everyday..then a couple times a week, they get hard boiled egg yolks and chopped up Romain Lettuce or any other dark geen leafy stuff) they can eat the boiled egg and green stuff but i would not feed the quail medicated chicken food. You should probably purchase Gamebird food.

6.) Is it better for a noob to get chicks or adults? (I was planning on getting only 2. Maybe 3 since they're small)I would say half grown would probably be best. that is what I started with and it worked out well.

As far as your eating them comment, lol, I would say that after they are full grown you can pretty much eat em whenever. We culled our extra males and violent females this week and had a wonderful fried quail meal
big_smile.png

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!
I'm so glad I asked those questions. They totally would have flown away on their first day here. LOL.
I was planning on the being free range, so I think I'll hold off on my 'quail as pets' idea for now and just stick to my two chicks.

big_smile.png

I think some people are justv too paranoid about diseases being passed from one animal to the other, I mean Im not saying its impossible I think its totally possible but I dont think passing on diseases from one animal to the other its that simple. I have my quails and my chicken about 50 feet away from each other but before i had them together in the same pen for about a month and nothing ever happened to either one of them, now I handle them both daily I go from the quails to the chicken and from the chicken to the quail and well so far nothing bad has happened. Or maybe Im just lucky!
Its like missred said it before regular hygiene its a must but other than that i think youre fine.

Quote:
I have a friend who keeps his birds about this far apart and he seems to do well with it but when he starts out in the morning working with his birds he starts with the youngest and works on the oldest last He tell me the biddies are the ones with the least amount of disease?? the older ones are more apt to have something but when he move from bobs to chickens just feeding and picking up eggs he washes up he has,nt ever lost game birds due to disease but he has lost a number of chickens to the usual chicken diseases he realizes what can pass between chickens and game birds He knows one day it is possible his game birds will be wiped out he does'nt have that many from year to year he is prepared to have to replace them all .

1. FOR DISEASE 10 FT ISOLATION SHOULD BE FINE SO LONG AS YOU USE A GOOD BIOLOGICAL ISOLATION TECHNIQUE AS APROPHET DESCRIBES

2. FOR INFO ON DISEASES FOR ALL YOU NAY SAYERS OUT THERE CHECK THIS LINK-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

. GENERAL NUTRITION--- YOU SHOULD NOT FEED ANY BIRD MEDICATED FEED UNLESS IT IS CURRENTLY ILL--- REPEATED DOSINGA. MAKES THE BUGS IMMUNE TO THE MEDICATION, B. WILL MAKE THE BIRDS IMMUNE SYSTEM LAZY THEREBY INVITING ILLNESS C. WILL CAUSE KIDNEY FAILURE AND KILL THE ANIMAL

wow having second thoughts on quail. Do not want to contaminate anything. But I will research more thanks for all the info.

You can have them on the same property. I have Chickens, Ducks, Peafowl, and Quail on my property of 6 acres. I have a garage for the quail and pens for the rest. It's doable
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom