Quail and chickens on same property...

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
I read that they were supposed to be 10 mile apart from each other.......uh-oh....I have 4 acres. Anyone have info on this?
big_smile.png

10 miles are you serious? Woah. That's silly
smile.png
I wouldnt keep the two species together however. But i'd say my chickens are about 30 feet in anotehr pen from my quails
smile.png

think of this too, big named hatcheries raise a BUNCH of different species together...chickens quails etc.
smile.png
So if they can do it im sure we all can. I assume the 10 mile talk is to avoid cross contamination of illnesses that are airborne, but i think that 10 miles is a little dramatic for my liking most people dont even own a mile! LOL! *MOST*.

as in "together' I mean on the same property-not same cages.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'd put them all together but there are too many differences in quail and chicken to live happily. I was thinking of dividing my coop so the quail can be on one side and chickens on the other.

I doubt anyone said they have to be 10miles apart. That's probably just the range at which poultry illnesses can be transferred. It would apply to chickens near other chickens and quail near other quail too. You don't really have any more risk of illness having both as having one or the other and we don't keep each individual chicken 10miles from every other chicken. Just make sure you get healthy animals and quarantine properly and you shouldn't have a problem.

if you want to have a recall pen set up forget that idea -- like said airborne dieses

also there are dieses that chickens are resistent to that quail aren't that could kill them, there are dieses that quail are resistent to that chickens arent that could kill your chickens.

be incredibly careful if one quail gets loose id say kill it and grill it cause like said it can kill your whole flock

when you go to your quail get back in and take a shower then go to the chickens, wildergamebirds is a very smart breeder of quail id take all his advice hes giving to keep em as far away from each other as you can

i am sure it's true about quail giving chickens illnesses and about chickens giving quail illnesses, however...almost everyone i know that owns quail owns chickesn and other fowl and no problems.

As the one poster said keep them healthy, and there shouldnt be problems.

Hi. I am the proud owner to two Cochin Hens. They're my first experience with raising chickens as an adult (We had them when I was a child for awhile).

I've had them for about 18 months, since they were just a few days old. We absolutely love them.

Anyway- the entire side of my house is dedicated to being their yard. We put up a privacy fence to keep them in and then they roost in a large coop everynight. which we have to close up once their inside to keep the raccoons out.

Recently, I've thought about adding some game type of birds to it. The yard attracts all kinds of wild birds during the day, but I thought some quial to keep in there permanently would be awesome.

I've found a woman in my area who sells Coternix Quail, so I've been researching the breed online, but the only info I can find is building a pen for them (The will use the chickens pen, it's huge) and when & how to cook them.
hmm.png
(umm...never)

So I have some questions and this seems like the right place to get some answers.

I would like them to be free roaming w/ the hens during the day, then roost in the coop when it gets dark.

1.) Will they stay in the yard? (it's a 6' privacy fence all the way around)

2.) Do they actually fly, or just 'flutter' around like a chicken can?

3.) Will they go in the coop and roost at night? (this is important because coons do climb it somehow looking for food)

4.) Will my 2 chickens try to kill them?

5.) Can quails eat what my hens eat? (a mixture of medicated crumbles, 3 grain scratch and then I throw some bird seed down for the wild birds that show up everyday..then a couple times a week, they get hard boiled egg yolks and chopped up Romain Lettuce or any other dark geen leafy stuff)

6.) Is it better for a noob to get chicks or adults? (I was planning on getting only 2. Maybe 3 since they're small)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

-Katie

edited to add: I guess I should have read the other posts before posting. It sounds like a bad idea to keep quail and chickens in the same yard together. Bummer...
sad.png

Last edited:
I recently did post about a quail tractor and mentio that I had chickens someone said just make sure not put the quail on same part the lawn the chicken were just on,because of tranferring disease.

Back
Top Bottom