Quail and chickens

Red Dog Ranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
Can you put quale in with chickens in their Run? Will they do O.K.? It is covered and roomy with a roomy Coup. If so will they all eat the samething?

I wouldnt suggest it. quail can catch a number of nasty bugs from chickens that are almost harmless to chickens. chickens would also be to aggressive and bully if not eat the quail. and no they dont eat the same thing . quail need alot more protein in their diet.

I keep mine together too. Sometimes when one of the quail jumps up on a chicken' back, I swear I can hear him yell "Yeehaww ride 'em cowboy", as he kicks the chicken in the side and they ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
what breed of quail do you have?

I keep mine together too. Sometimes when one of the quail jumps up on a chicken' back, I swear I can hear him yell "Yeehaww ride 'em cowboy", as he kicks the chicken in the side and they ride off into the sunset.

I dont think its a "Rodeo" deal, Thou the Texas A&M quail can get spurs like the chicken... Id guess its a dominance thing.... Quail just wants the chicken to know who's boss!

Back
Top Bottom