Quail and Coccidiosis

jwells84

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I'm trying to research ways to Sanitize a pen (with a wood floor) I've had quail chick that have died from coccidiosis, each hatch I loose more and more chicks,I lost all the chicks from my last hatch it was only 15 but that was my whole hatch..I have saved most of the chicks (except the last 15) using Corid.but even with the corid my last hatch died took about a week and half. i'm fixing to have another and don't want to risk losing them if possible. I did some research and found out that I can give them medicated chick start, and I got shaving to put in the brooder. i had been using hay.
Thanks for any advice!

I'm trying to research ways to Sanitize a pen (with a wood floor) I've had quail chick that have died from coccidiosis, each hatch I loose more and more chicks,I lost all the chicks from my last hatch it was only 15 but that was my whole hatch..I have saved most of the chicks (except the last 15) using Corid.but even with the corid my last hatch died took about a week and half. i'm fixing to have another and don't want to risk losing them if possible. I did some research and found out that I can give them medicated chick start, and I got shaving to put in the brooder. i had been using hay.
Thanks for any advice!
I'm VERY new to quail so take everything I say with a grain of salt. That said, I have read almost every thread in this forum. :) I would be careful with medicated chick starter for two reasons from what i've read. 1. The protein is too low for quail chicks and 2. the amount they eat makes the medicated feed too strong?! I don't remember where I read that but everything i've seen says to not use medicated starter for quail.

Not sure about disinfecting your pen. If you have the time and it is outdoors maybe a diluted bleach solution but that would have to have LOTS of time to dry and deodorize. I would think some kind of sealant might be a better bet? even with that you would need to allow plenty of time to dry/deodorize. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Here is a description of Coccidiosis from "Coturnix Revolution" (a great book!):
Two to six week old quail are more susceptible to coccidiosis than older ones since their immune systems are still new and older birds are more resistant. Coccidiosis is an internal parasite that affects the quail's digestive tract. Symptoms of coccidiosis is lethargy, lack of appetite, weak legged, pale plumage, and if untreated death results. Blood in the feces is another symptom. Preventing coccidiosis is quite basic. Preventing coccidiosis from becoming a problem is basically a management job. Wet litter and buildup of droppings around waterers and feeders is a common source of overwhelming infections. Wire sections made to hold feeders and waterers aid greatly in prevention.
All litter and groun-reared birds are exposed to coccidiosis; however, quail will develop immunity to the problem. Whether or not the birds will get sick from exposure is directly related to the sanitary condition of the pen. Where conditions are clean, the exposure if less severe and the birds will develop immunity without getting a clinical case of coccidiosis. Unsanitary conditions often result in clinical cases that are treated at a high medication cost and loss of birds. Some feed companies put a drug in the feed to prevent coccidiosis (commonly called coccidiostat). The coccidiostat is designed for use under good sanitary conditions. It is designed to allow birds limited exposure to coccidiosis so they will develop immunity without becoming overwhelmed and getting sick. The idea is to devlop immunity early, without a clinical case or loss of birds. Whether you are successful in accomplishing this on your farm depends greatly on your sanitation program.

From myself I will add that adding a probiotic to babies (and adults) water greatly helps to establish good immune system. You can get probiotic at the feed store or online (amazon). Apple cider vinegar can also be added to drinking water to help establish good microflora.

Hay isn't a particularly dry bedding, but I've used straw with success, though my babies are brooded indoors where it's drier anyway. You have got to keep them very dry. Any dampness from spilled water or rain, plus that from droppings, are perfect conditions for coccidiosis to multiply and heavily infest your birds. You will need to seal the wood of your pen so that it doesn't become damp and exacerbate the problem. If it's sitting on the ground then it will absorb and transfer any dampness from the ground into the pen. Keeping them dry and clean is the key to preventing coccidiosis.

Thanks for info. I will re seal it an see if that helps. My first hatch did great. But it's just getting worse. So maybe the sealant I used wire off. It's not sitting on the ground. But it was been raining a lot. I've had it tarped but I'm sure it was still damp.

I'm VERY new to quail so take everything I say with a grain of salt. That said, I have read almost every thread in this forum. :) I would be careful with medicated chick starter for two reasons from what i've read. 1. The protein is too low for quail chicks and 2. the amount they eat makes the medicated feed too strong?! I don't remember where I read that but everything i've seen says to not use medicated starter for quail.

Not sure about disinfecting your pen. If you have the time and it is outdoors maybe a diluted bleach solution but that would have to have LOTS of time to dry and deodorize. I would think some kind of sealant might be a better bet? even with that you would need to allow plenty of time to dry/deodorize. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
As far as the medicated feed I figured i try them on it for a day or two before I put them in the broader. I try to leave them in the incubator for an extra day to make sure they are healthy

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there, I don't have experience with it but it does seem abnormal that you're having such a loss with every single hatch - I would make/get a different brooder, preferably one out of plastic that you can fully sanitize.

It's just unusual (as far as I know) for this to happen so often, so I would update your setup because it seems there is something wrong with it.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe it has something to do with your source of eggs, your incubator cleanliness/operation, food they're fed, etc.?

I know birds are very susceptible to fungus/mold - is there a chance you have that around?

It may also be the same price or less to buy quail that are already a few/several weeks old for a few dollars each since you're experiencing such a loss with the quail and using up materials and feed raising them from eggs?

Hi there, I don't have experience with it but it does seem abnormal that you're having such a loss with every single hatch - I would make/get a different brooder, preferably one out of plastic that you can fully sanitize.

It's just unusual (as far as I know) for this to happen so often, so I would update your setup because it seems there is something wrong with it.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe it has something to do with your source of eggs, your incubator cleanliness/operation, food they're fed, etc.?

I know birds are very susceptible to fungus/mold - is there a chance you have that around?

It may also be the same price or less to buy quail that are already a few/several weeks old for a few dollars each since you're experiencing such a loss with the quail and using up materials and feed raising them from eggs?
Thanks for the suggestions. I just built this broader a couple of months ago. I did add some linoleum today after i cleaned it thoroughly in hopes to make it easier to clean, im raising my own for meat, so i can rotate hens if nessary my 1st covey i had 35 an lost two 2nd i had 30 an lost 5, and last batch only 15 hatched out of 30 eggs, so something may not have been right to start with,

Thanks for the suggestions. I just built this broader a couple of months ago. I did add some linoleum today after i cleaned it thoroughly in hopes to make it easier to clean, im raising my own for meat, so i can rotate hens if nessary my 1st covey i had 35 an lost two 2nd i had 30 an lost 5, and last batch only 15 hatched out of 30 eggs, so something may not have been right to start with,

Ohhh my mistake, I'm sorry I was thinking you lost nearly all you hatched, linoleum was a great idea!! :D good luck!

thanks, well see theyre due to hatch today or tomorrow. i just finished up with a batch of 3 ducks and 14 chickens! they're to cute. i moved them to the top shelf on brooder today. i'll try to remember to post a picture of my brooder for yall

Back
Top Bottom