Quail and Dogs

optic1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Tri-Cities WA
Hi all, do you see any problems with raising Quail in a flight run and having Golden Retrievers in the area. I'm curious about cross diseases or how the quail might react to something sniffing around now and then out of curiosity.

The dogs might get a nose by the cage, but they will never be able to get to them. The dogs stay on the farm with no outside contact and are healthy. I have wild bobwhite quail and pheasant roaming all over the back pasture and the dogs really do not pay any attention.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Instead of worring about deseases I would be concerned about safety of your birds first.

If your dogs can put there nose in the cage, sooner or later they wil find the way to injure or kill your quail.

I lost birds to coons eating my quail through 1/2" by 1" inch mesh.

They surely could not put their nose through half inch mesh.

Hey thanks, but the dogs would maybe only to sniff the outside but they cannot get in. The birds will be safe plus the dogs are pretty mellow.

I'm looking to get into the Coturnix breed, I'm just waiting for the packet from the WA State Div of Wildlife to see all the hoops I have to jump through to sell or ship them. Plus I want to use some for dog training out in our fields. I am new to the forum and have raised exotic birds in the past but am new to the game bird field. I just hope I don't have to bomb the forum with too many questions.
wink.png
looks you like ou have a good group and some nice people here.

Last edited:
I raise several types of quail, I'm always yelling at my bird dogs to leave the birds alone. After awhile of seeing the dogs, mine have become less scared and rarely flush anymore, unless the younger dog is jumping and running down the pen.

smile.png
Very good group here, lots of information.

Dogs are naturally curious about birds, so you will need to make sure you reinforce the run/pens. Dogs can be trained not to bother them, but the fact remains that they are dogs and will go for them if the desire is too great, no matter how much training they've had. I keep mine in rabbit-hutch styled pens, off the ground, so the dogs are less inclined to bother them. I don't think you have to worry about disease from the dogs. If you're going to use the birds for training, definitely keep them secluded enough that they don't get used to dogs/people around. Coturnix are best suited for puppies and beginners, as they don't fly as well as some of the more flighty breeds like the bobwhites. They are like small chickens.
smile.png

I agree with Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain, I've noticed the dog don't really pay attention to birds that are in rabbit hutches compared to my 30 ft pens where they can get a good look at the birds.

Allow me to explain the security system here at the game farm. Its a 2 part system. In the event of an escape either part is capable of finding, capturing, and returning safely any of my stock. In the event of predatory threats either part will vehemently defend, repel, or otherwise thwart any and all comers. In the event its hunting season and I am hunting.... I have no security system! part A--- TRUMAN 8YO CHOCLATE LAB MALE..... part B---- CD 3 YO YELLOW LAB FEMALE

Now there's not much that escapes either part. Both parts work well in solitary use or in conjunction. Both parts are accomplished gun dogs. NO YOU LIKELY WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR GOLDENS! As far as illness, NO any illnesses associated with either party-- quail or dogs, will not cross the zoological barrier. If you have any sense of control over your dogs and take appropriate steps in pen construction this shouldnt be a problem.
smile.png

PS-- with a lil work you too have a security system like mine.... only fuzzier!
smile.png

A lil caveat on the side......(in my oppinion and from my personal experience...)

Coturnix suck for dog training! They do not flush well, are weak fliers, and generally will be very disappointing for you. Using these for any dog as a field training aid causes confusion in younger dogs and will actually set your training program way back. I am a field trial trainer and handler for both waterdogs and upland game bird dogs and refuse to use them for my training program. I am also an avid hunter.

Make no mistake, there will be nay sayers along shortly to contradict this..... but I have seen many a promising young dog screwed up by poor or imporper training practices. If your set on using captive birds for training I suggest looking to more appropriate speces of quail like bob whites, or valleys, gambels, ring neck pheasants, etc... In the end your efforts will be better rewarded by your results.
smile.png
Also carefully check your fish and game laws for your area, some do not allow the release of domestic birds at all no matter the speces.

Back
Top Bottom