quail and Guinea

ladylynch

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
Horatio, Arkansas
I have 6 bobs that will be 2 weeks when I get 6 guineas from the same hatchery. Can I keep them in the same brooder till the quail r big enough to move to the run?

Depends on several things. How old will the keets be? The first week the brooder temp for bobs is 97 by the second week it's 92. The keets will need 95 the first week and 90 the second week etc. So if they are close to the same age you might be ok on the temperature. The next problem you will potentially have is that bobwhites are very aggressive and can become cannibalistic in the brooder. They are aggressive birds by nature. If it were me I wouldn't brood them together, but if you need to do it, just be prepared to have to come up with an alternate arrangement on short notice if they start fighting.

Its a large brooder with heat lamps on each end with enough room for them to get out of the heat if they wanted too and still not be all huddled together. They should be about a week apart in age.

Thats actually quite a bit of difference. If you put week old keets with 2 week old bobs, the bobs are most likely going to bully them. The keets will need a higher temperature than what the bobs will be at for their age and higher temperatures cause bobwhites to be aggressive with each other let alone a bird that is a week younger. Typically you can get away it if you hatch them together but in this case I wouldn't suggest it.

Back
Top Bottom