quail and rabbits

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sheds, Dec 7, 2012.

1. sheds

sheds Out Of The Brooder

i was wondering if quail & rabbits can be kept in the same barn ( seperate pens ) this will be the 1st time i ve moved some of my quail in the barn for the winter with the rabbits but was wondering about any possible diseases. Not many rabbits just 10. Thanks. Randy

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    The only thing seperating my rabbits from my birds is a small walkway between the cages about the width of a doorway. (Knock On Wood) To this day, I have yet to have any problems so I think you will be just fine.

3. sheds

sheds Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the reply, i wont worry so much now :)

4. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    i have 3ftx9ft hutch that i made with a wooden divider and one side houses my quail and the other side houses my new zealand doe and they been like that for months with no problem my doe just had her babies in there 2 weeks ago too.

5. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    The only things they could pass would be bacterial infections and parasites. As long as you keep both enclosures clean and make sure their food and water is good quality and neither animal has parasites, there shouldn't be any problems.

I have both house rabbits and a pen of quail in my living room and there's never been an issue. One of my quail even got out and spent an evening hanging out in my rabbits' litter box and neither group of animals suffered any ill effect.

6. James Marie

James Marie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    I agree as long as both pens are clean you should have no problems....the liter pans are were the problem would start with ammonia levels from the rabbits urine if waste was allowed to build up....if the smell is strong its time to clean....quails cannot handle high levels of it (ammonia)...it can affect growth and cause respiratory problems and even blindness in the eyes....just keep the area clean and you should have no problems.....

7. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    if the both pens are big join them ..[​IMG]
    my rabbits, chicks and quails just love to be together

8. sheds

sheds Out Of The Brooder

Thanks, i ll be sure to keep the rabbits xtra clean, i hate the thoughts of loosing any of the quail.

9. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    you won't

10. sheds

sheds Out Of The Brooder

sure i will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by