Quail anxious about the weather?

Peristeria

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
It's hurricane season yet again (the first for our quail!), and my girls (and boy) were flipping out when I opened up their house. Can they predict the weather? The internet says that hurricanes come with a big drop in air pressure and the animals can detect that. Anyone know? They were staying in really tight groups and calling for the boy (who is in 'quail jail,' an sectioned off part of their house, right now because he attacked a girl) constantly when they couldn't see him. Are they okay? No changes in food, clean water, regular bedding, but the only different part is we recently gave away 2 because they would create fights just for fun :idunno .

Very likely a reaction to changes in the barometric and the absence of several flock members. Good luck with the weather.
That is just fascinating to me. Sometimes I look at something they've done and I'm like 'wow, there's nothing going on up there, is there', but times like this I'm like 'oh, apparently there is and I'm the dumb one.' It is funny though because yesterday they didn't call for the trouble makers one bit, but, before they were rehomed, when I had one trouble maker in a different pen they would screech across the way to each other for hours, lol.

Mine can definitely tell when it’s about to rain. If it’s cloudy and they’re calm, it’s just cloudy. But when it’s about to pour they start pacing and jumping a little more, and then I check the weather app!

Back
Top Bottom