Quail attack. Prevention ideas?

Babyquail

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Kentucky
I had a small completely enclosed coop that held 13 cutornix quail. They lived behind my high school in an open field with no proper forest or anything nearby due to people’s property. I am on vacation and have someone checking on them, and yesterday everything was fine and today 8 were dead, 2 were missing, and 3 were alive. Some were practically ripped in half, some had no visible wounds but were in poses of distress and missing feathers. Absolutely no problems before this, they had been there for about 5 months. What really sucks is that I’ll be gone for long enough that I won’t be able to collect and hatch their last eggs, so when I was supposed to be actually kicking off this fall, I’ll be starting from scratch. I didn’t build the coop, and it was in disrepair so I fixed it up and did my best to predator proof it, like adding chicken wire with smaller holes that bent at the ground, and the indoor section had a floor, and I put bricks around a few parts of it. Something definitely dug in with a decently sized hole. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? I don’t want to have to start over a third time. I’ll include a picture of the coop.
image000000.jpeg

concrete your wire into the ground. once animals hit the concrete it deters them from digging. if its a pen you move around try adding bricks completely around its bottom

concrete your wire into the ground. once animals hit the concrete it deters them from digging. if its a pen you move around try adding bricks completely around its bottom
Like I said it’s behind a high school, so no “Permanent structures” are allowed, so no concrete. I don’t move it around at all as it’s staked into the ground, would bricks still work enough to keep predators out?

Like I said it’s behind a high school, so no “Permanent structures” are allowed, so no concrete. I don’t move it around at all as it’s staked into the ground, would bricks still work enough to keep predators out?
its should deter them. i use bricks for spots i need to patch with concrete and haven't had any digging issues

What do you think might have done it? The hole I found wasn’t very big. Some quail were ripped in half, some had no visible wounds, and there were feathers everywhere. My guess was a weasel or a raccoon, and I plan to attempt to catch it.

Update: The person watching my quail filled in the hole but didn’t lock the quail in the floored indoor part like I asked. Whatever it was came back and killed the remaining 3.

Back
Top Bottom