Quail attracted by cat now won't lay eggs

ENHomestead

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
Hello, I got a few quails and they were attacked by the neighbors cat and two are dead and one was hurt but recovered and now it won't lay eggs (she did lay eggs before). I would like to know if she will lay eggs or not?

Hi and welcome. Stress can cause a bird to have an interruption in their production of eggs. An attack like you have described is most decidedly stressful for them. How long has it been since the attack and how long since she was fully recovered physically?

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. I have only had a few quail before I had to get rid of them though because the dog would not leave them alone and managed to get one through the cage wire then killed and death rolled it on the lawn. Im no expert but I would think that the cat attack on your birds will have caused a lot of stress and disruption to them. This therefore can cause birds to stop laying. Hopefully with a bit a time she will get back to laying for you :frow

Thank you!!!! It's been 2 weeks since she recovered but she was hurt a little and she been eating good and in the sand a lot. Still no eggs:( how long can it take for the quail to possibly get over the stress? @Ol Grey Mare

I would say at least three weeks. Depending on where you are and whether or not you provide extra light for her, she may be done for the year. They are naturally wrapping up the egg laying.

Last edited:
Thank you!!! That's what happened with the quails we brought them in a cage home and left them in the cage in a fenced backyard to go to lowes to buy material to build a permanent cage and that cat got in! We were very disappointed:( @yorkshire coop

Back
Top Bottom